quiet fans?

wonderings

Baseband Member
I bought a new PC, my Dell just died on me. Its a decent computer, i5 3.4 latest generation chip, came with a nvidia 660 in it (I have a 670, not sure if its worth swapping, if there would be a big noticeable change) and 8 gigs of ram. Runs good, except its a bit noisy. Are there quieter fans I can buy? If so, what would you recommend?

If the 660 is a non TI then the 670 will be a pretty big leap in performance.

What is your CPU cooling setup, case, and the fans that are currently in your PC? Odds have it, it could be either the CPU fan or GPU fan getting faster because it's warming up. Don't want to waste money on expensive case fans when they aren't the issue.

To above, Noctua fans are quiet without the adapter. With the adapter they push almost no air and become almost useless IMO. Another good option are Scythe Gentle Typhoons.

Wow, a pre-built with good specs to cash. I'm surprised, but it doesn't list your PSU.

That looks to me like a HAF 912. Should have 120mm fans in it, and typically they are 1200RPM, blow little air, but make hardly any noise. So that being said, most likely what you're hearing is the CPU fan or GPU fan.

Yes, you can put the 670 in without a driver swap, although it's recommended just to download the latest WHQL from the Nvidia website anyways.

The noise starts up immediately once windows is running. Would a CPU or GPU fan only really start making noise when under load?

Are there options for quieter CPU fans if that is what is making the noise? If so, is it an easy swap?

I have the latest drivers from the 660 as it did not come with an OS, so had to install and update everything once I installed windows.

That depends on if they wiped the stock paste, put new on, and just plastered that **** on there. That would cause the CPU to run warmer than usual. Otherwise, yes it's very possible. If it was the case fans it would be loud as soon as you turned it on.

Easiest way to tell is just put your ear in there and see who's making the most noise.

I think the fans come on as soon as I hit the power button, but will have to double check when I get home from work. It boots up so fast because of the SSD.

Well of course, but if it were the case fans it would be instantly loud as soon as you pushed the button. While loading Windows and startup programs it could cause the CPU fan to ramp up like it's supposed to due to a load. That's why I said, easiest way is just go into Windows, put your ear in there to see who is making the most noise. I believe you're going to find it's the CPU stock cooler fan.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to answer your other questions. Yes there are alternatives, even cheap ones. Something like the Cooler Master 212 EVO for instance. Simply swapping to that gives a 120mm fan that is quieter immediately compared to the stock cooler.

If you downloaded and installed the latest for the 660 then you'll have no issues simply putting the 670 in there. They use literally the same drivers.

Last edited:
when the computer is on carefully stop different fans with your fingers to figure out where the noise is coming from until you locate it, then once you know where the loudest noise is, you can take steps to reduce its noise, then find the next loudest thing and fix that and so on ;) stopping the processor fan for a few seconds ( about a minute max at idle ) wont harm your computer in any way.

Back
Top Bottom