Gaming build, need help

Pariya

Baseband Member
Hello. I decided i want to build my own computer because it would be cheaper and i can get a more powerfull build vs sites like alienware that allow you to customize a build because i have all the options available to me to choose from. I would learn something as well.

I am confident that i can figure out how to put it all togethor with a little help from YouTube and search engines. Figuring out what to buy though is another story. I imagine it would be time consuming and i still might make bad purchases when i could have gotten other parts that would have performed better.

I was wondering if someone knowledgable could simply just tell me what to buy:p I imagine someone experienced in this field and up to date with the newest technology could fairly easily recommend a good build for me.

I have already viewed the sticky thread on places to shop and have signed up to any of them offering email promotions. So when it comes to buying any part i can shop around and check out deals and find the cheapest place to buy it.

So what parts would you reccomend to me. I want to spend around 2,000 american dollars but that is not a fixed limit. I want to get the best performance possible for gaming and video recording. I would not mind getting a lesser part if the difference in price/performace makes it wiser to get the cheaper product and save the money. i want the best performance possible but i find nothing wrong with getting a cheaper part if it is worth it, or rather the more expensive part is not.

Could someone who is knowledgable enough that this would not be a major hassle please make a list for me of the best parts to get from those in the market today to build a gaming pc that would probably fall in the general area of my price limit.

I imagine no list would be perfect and others might disagree but it would be better than any list i would make for myself and i ask because i want to save myself a lot of time and hassle.

I would appreciate any and all help :)

Last edited:
You buying this now, or sometime in the near future?
Also, what other stuff will you be using? I imagine some form of video editing software, or Photoshop?

I hope to have it built in 2 months when "Rome 2 Total War" is released. I hope to be able to play and record it at the highest possible settings. All i use right now is Fraps to record and Windows Movie Maker to render but i want the computer to be able to handle more advanced software if i ever choose to use it. I have a youtube channel called BadEgoGM and i want to put some videos up of Rome 2 multiplayer when it is released. My current computer is not very good and i cannot record at high settings and i just want to be able to do so from now on.

The computer will mostly be a gaming computer but it will also be my everyday computer for internet searches and downloading and other such things.

You'll probably hate me for saying this, but just wait and post back when you're ready to pull the trigger. Like, literally cash in hand, ready to buy right now. Reason being, prices and availability change all the time and in 2 months the new IB-E chips will be out which is most likely what I'll be recommending for your large budget to get that recording job done.

I am ready to pull the trigger. I just meant that i want to have it built in 2 months not that in 2 months ill be ready to build it. I'm ready to order everything now.

Are you saying that in 2 months there will be new technology that would be worth waiting for? I would be willing to wait if it is something worth waiting for. Would you advise me to wait for these new IB-E chips?

Indeed. With your budget, having one of those chips would be a good start to a great build. They are pricey, but the extra horsepower helps with video recording which like I mentioned in another thread appears to be a trend this summer.

Hard launch date is to be expected September 11th. Although, a current 4770k would do what you want, so rather it's up to you and whether you want to wait or not. Either that, or you can spend more money on something like a GTX780 which would grant more FPS at higher settings.

Well from the sounds of it i think i should wait then. It is not that long to wait and it sounds like it would be worth waiting for. Thank you for your help.

I cannot wait. I want to have a new computer the day the game is released. Could you please create a build for me if it's not too much to ask of you?

My objective is to be able to play and record "Rome 2 Total War" at the highest possible settings. If i need to go over my 2,000 dollar budget to do this then that is fine. It is a preferred price limit for me, not a fixed limit. This does not include a monitor, keyboard or mouse. I may or may not upgrade these at a later time. Most the time i use my TV as my monitor anyways but i already have a decent enough monitor as well which i may or may not upgrade at a later time.

Last edited:
Pardon, but I'm a bit drunk as I've consumed a ton of Scotch due to losing my uncle. I may edit this in the morning to fix it, but to my knowledge this will work perfectly within your budget.

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4770K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV316G160C0K - Newegg.com

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 03G-P4-2781-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

SSD+HDD:
Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK Solid State Drive - Newegg.com
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

PSU:
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - Newegg.com

$1921

This rig should be able to max absolutely any game out at 1080p. I took a gander at the recommended system specs for Rome 2 and they don't appear to be as high as I expected from the trailers. So with that being said, I believe you should be able to record and play the game easily. Large SSD + a storage drive for recorded material. I recommend a free program called Handbrake on the "normal" profile to reduce file size yet retaining original quality.
If you require an optical drive I think I saw an Asus DVDRW for 17.99, if not any will do. Literally.
Finally on the case, if you want something a bit snazzier then I left you a bit of room for that. I can say with personal experience that the 200r is large enough for enthusiast rigs while giving a good amount of airflow for some top notch parts.

Back
Top Bottom