My mother's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the 9800 Pro is overkill for what she needs. In fact, a Dell would suit her purposes, although I don't reccommend Dell because the parts are so cheap and its un-upgradable. The FX 5700 is MAX for what she needs. In fact, she would be fine with a GeForce 2 MX 32MB graphics card.

i think he plans on driving to pick it all up, thats why tax matters, he picked it all off of one site.

the onboard sound on that board will do you fine, I've used that exact board and processor and it does indeed have good onboard sound.

If your mom doesn't game at all, then technically she needs nothing more than a Geforce 2 MX 32mb card which I had to game on up until a couple months ago.....so if she NEVER does any gaming even an old ass card will suit your needs and you'll save money.

Also even 64bit chips are overrated simply because they won't be fully used until about 2006 when a 64bit OS is officially released.

she wants over kill.
If she had $3000 to blow she would want even more.
When she 1st got her last computer I still lived with her and she was more of a computer use then even I was. I made me mad because she new more then me.

She never touched a computer in her life and she was writing webpages useing nothing more then Paint shop pro and note pad.

She wants to be like that again, but her computer kinda sucks now.

She will be coming into alot of money pretty soon. Most of it she will be useing to fix her house, but she is pulling some money aside for a pimped out computer and a dig-camcorder. The idea is spend it while she has it. She won't have money to waste on a computer for a long time after this, if ever at all.

So stop thinking that this is mass over kill "for right now". Will it be over kill in 2006? 07? 09?

If you had around $2000 and had to try to plan for 4-6 years from now... I think you might find yourself in my shoes.

As for her not being a gamer. This is only mostly true. She only plays cute fun 3d games. Frogger 3d, PacMan3d, so on and so forth. But if she found out that there are games that she can't play. She would be upset. (after spending this much, wouldn't you be upset even if you never used the gaming part?) So I picked a card that she could play doom 3 with, but wasn't over kill. I will look into that video card and think about it, but I'm already going over, so we will see.

Anywho, thanks again everyone for your input.

what the heck does ur mom need 500GB for??? i could give my mom 5GB and she could never fill it if she tried

I tryed to find a site that benchmarked Radeon 9800 and the card that I was(am?) going to pick. Anyone have a idea what card is better. A link to a benchmark maybe?

I just have heard good reviews, and posted that card because you said you wanted a card around $200.... I'm not sure where the reviews are exactly. Just Google Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro.

NVidia 6800 Ultra blows radeon X800 and 9800pro outta the water 4 that matter, tested on a believe 13 benchmarks including sandra and 3d mark05

There you go again...6800 isn't even in the same catergory as 9800 pro! And lets not turn this into a 6800 vs. X800 thread. :D 9800 Pro is overkill, but if oldschool wants that for his mother, that thats fine, but I would not go anything above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom