Is there anything other than a bad motherboard which can cause this?

earwicker7

In Runtime
Some background... through some careless behavior on my behalf, a couple of CPU socket pins got bent. I managed to slip by on a technicality by telling the company who made it, "It doesn't work anymore." So I got a replacement, which I'm sure is refurbished, and we all know how reliable that stuff is.

Since I've installed it, my PC has been the definition of instability. One moment it won't post, and the diagnostic LED says it is because of the CPU. Then it will boot up and run for a while, then freeze. I'll restart it, and it won't post, but this time the diagnostic LED says it's the GPU. Repeat, and it now says it is the memory, then later it says it's the boot device. The most recent one is that it will post, but freeze during the BIOS graphic screen (AKA the "Hi, we're Asus!" screen).

Can anyone think of a problem that is not the motherboard which would cause this? I ran a memory test program, and it crashed the first time, but the second time it ran for 90 minutes with zero errors.

The only things I've done with the BIOS so far was to update it (this was after all of the crazy crashes, so that didn't directly cause them) and change the voltage for the memory to 1.65V, which is required for those sticks. I guess I don't want to have to fiddle with the BIOS until I know that it isn't a hardware problem.

I've also reseated everything/blown out any dust.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom