Computer turning off and on?

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hey, so the first time this happened was yesterday. My desktop computer shut itself off, and before i could go "wtf" and turn it back on, it turned on by itself. I've only seen this during really heavy storms where the power flickers. There was no storm yesterday.
It happened again today, during a huge storm. Any idea on what's causing it?
My only clue is either heat or not enough power, but i don't think power should be an issue either. I just installed an H80i almost 2 weeks ago

My build is: i5-2500k, radeon 7970 reference, 750W power supply, H80i liquid cooling.
any help would be great. Thanks a lot

If you get a lot of power failures during storms and have your PC on (whether they be browns, black out, flicker, or surge) it can cause damage to your PSU in a short amount of time.

What is the brand of your PSU?

If you get a lot of power failures during storms and have your PC on (whether they be browns, black out, flicker, or surge) it can cause damage to your PSU in a short amount of time.

What is the brand of your PSU?

To add onto this, if your'e getting a lot of outages and such due to overall power failure on a circuit in your house or total power loss, then I would invest in a good Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS).

To be honest, this hasn't happened in a few years (flicker). The day i posted it, there was a storm, but the day before there was no storm and it just shut off randomly. Any clues as to what that is/was?

Monitor your temps. Something could be overheating. Is anything overclocked?

And honestly, it only takes once for something to screw up. I prefer higher end Corsair and Seasonic units because they can take a beating but not every unit is perfect. If you've ran this machine through a storm before and this happened, then put a lot of pressure/use on it from gaming or whatever it could have just increased any potential damage. Likely that's not the case, but if heat isn't an issue and neither is stability (stock clocks) then the last place to look is the PSU.

Well i ran it through Hurricane sandy the past year, but luckily for me this didn't happen. The only time i remember that happening was when my dad turned off the electricity in the entire house on accident.

Nothing is OC'd either. i'll just keep adding information if it happens again. hasn't happened since i posted.

Well before it happens, grab Coretemp and MSI Afterburner. Monitor your load temps for both the GPU and CPU during gameplay. Something could be causing a shutdown if it isn't the PSU. For your sake I hope it isn't the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom