Whats holding me back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay thanks. I cant wait for christmas! And What voltage should I start out on with 200*9, was it 1.55 volts?

200*9=1.8 ghz which is stock for the chip, but would it still be faster than the stock frequencies?
It's only faster if you have PC3200 RAM because you are getting a 1:1 ratio with the RAM whereas at stock timings which is like 133x13.5 I believe then you'd have a huge bottleneck between the CPU and RAM being that the CPU would be at a 266FSB compared to the 400FSB of your RAM.

oh and BTW thanks for replying, apparently im not a very popular SOB around here or something.
Nah I don't think that's it at all, I just think there's only a couple of us that have the EXACT board and CPU combination (well not exact cause you got 2600 and I got 2400 but you know what I mean) and it's just of course I'll be able to help you a lot better since I'm basically doing and have gone through what you'll be going through whereas most probably haven't. Not saying there's no one else in these forums that's ever overclocked, but obviously since I know what your BIOS looks like since it's mine too :p and what chip you got and that it's basically like mine I can really help you out with gettin the best stability out of this beast.

Okay thanks. I cant wait for christmas! And What voltage should I start out on with 200*9, was it 1.55 volts?
That'd be perfect Lazerman ;) Technically it's .2 more than the processor needs to run at 1.8GHz, but like I said above, not sure if it was just me, a fluke or what, but when I lowered my Vcore down to 1.45 my BIOS defaulted the Multi to 6, and the only reason I could come up with it doing that is because it thought that it might be underpowering my chip so it underclocks it....don't know if it'd happen to you or Leonidas, but I say start at 1.55 Vcore at 1.8GHz, you should be able to hit probably 2.1GHz and still boot into windows.

Aright here's the scenario, 200x9 for 1.8GHz at 1.55Vcore, more than likely and I'm talking like 99% sure here, it'll boot, as there really should be no reason why it shouldn't....from there just raise your multi by .5 increments, and boot into windows, everytime you're in Windows run prime95, and I'm talking just for like 1 minute, restart your computer and up the multiplier by another .5 increment, now after you start pushing the limits of the CPU's speed with the Vcore you'll notice things happen in this order:

1) Prime95 will error almost immediately if not completely immediately, this means that you are close to stability and need to add just a tad bit more Vcore.

2) Prime95 as soon as you hit "BEGIN TEST" Causes the computer to freeze, this means that it's quite far from stable and you need to up the Vcore probably twice as much as you would in the above case.

3) It won't boot into windows, which means again, a lot of Vcore will be needed to get stability.

4) The computer won't boot upon saving BIOS Settings, this means your Vcore is WAY off from being a stable setting and you either need to start over, or go back to your last configuration

Best way to go about this is to WRITE DOWN what combo's work best. Once you got your clock speed of course prime95 it, I suggest letting it go for atleast 12+ hours if you can especially on the first overclocks. If it makes the test, then start tightening it up, see how low you can get your Vcore with the highest frequency.

Don't raise the FSB past whatever your RAM is rated at, in this case if it's PC3200 don't raise it past 200 unless you're prepared to OC your RAM which is a whole other thing all-together ;)
The order in which bad things start to happen is:

1) Your computer doesn't boot

2.5 ghz with a really low front side bus gonna go for higher FSB lower multiplier next

EDIT: i think the temps are gonna begin to hold me back before too long, need to get more fans.

2505.7Mhz(208.8*12) on 1.7 vcore(by the BIOS) even tho cpuid reads vcore at 1.68... wish i could find a way to make this number more stable/accurate.

pretty damn good for air, at max load i was running at 45.5 then i took the side of my case off and dropped 1.5 degrees... amazing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom