Need help with new PC build for school

Dio1080

In Runtime
Hello everybody, it has been 6 years since the help of tech-forums for my first PC build. Now that the computer has been retired and I'm ready for a new PC to build. Now, I'm getting my Masters in Information Assurance (aka Cyber Security) and my laptop nearly died last semester with all the penetration testing I was doing with the various Virtual Machines I was running at once. I need this built to handle the amount of stress to handle such testing. As for gaming, I might, even though PS3 and soon PS4 has been keeping me busy since my last built. My budget for this computer is between $1000-$1200. I have to include the keyboard, mouse, and 22" HDMI\DVI monitor in this budget also. Last, should I stick with Windows 7 or go with Windows 8? Since I'm going to be using VMs a lot, I don't know if Windows 8 is good for that. Any help is very appreciative.

For OS, go with whatever you feel is more comfortable to you. Since you're in that area, you might want to go with the latest version or even something like Linux.

I need to know if you are absolutely certain you are leaving your gaming needs to the consoles because it makes a huge difference in the build I'm going to suggest for your task.

Ok well here's the build for now.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock B85M-HDS LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G3D169DS3

PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
GIGABYTE GZ-F3HEB Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

LCD:
Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD LCD Monitor w/Speakers - Newegg.com

$986

I left 200 for your peripherals because I didn't know if you would want a 100 dollar keyboard and mouse or not. I also added an OS because you didn't specify whether or not you needed one. I didn't include an optical drive because I'm assuming installing from a flash drive shouldn't be an issue for you, and the cheap case to put more money towards your other hardware.

The PSU and rig in general is more than plenty to do this task, and if later on you added a decent GPU like a GTX760 or whatever you could easily game anything on the market. Something to think about if you haven't spent 400 pre-ordering a PS4/Xbone.

Also, if you don't need an OS I'm going to substitute that for a much needed SSD.

PP Mguire thanks for your input, I was wondering what a regular build/gaming build would be like from your point of view?

If we were going for a gaming build, pretty much the same thing except go 8GB of RAM, 4670k, and a good GPU on your budget. Maybe even a lesser 4000 series Haswell i5 to get more money into the GPU.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLE2KIT4G3D1608DE1TX0 - Newegg.com

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2763-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

With the latter: $1009

To put things into perspective, I just built a good friend a 550 dollar rig based on an i3 3220, 8GB of RAM, and a 650ti Boost. It played every game I put on it with very good settings like Last Light, Crysis 3, ect. I was surprised.

Edit: I'm going to get my hair cut. I'll reply later, or somebody else will.

Okay, thanks, I'll probably go with another case since the reviews I'm reading on it don't look good, let alone probably wont fit the video card you suggested. Also, a change in case since my room gets pretty hot regardless of the A/C and windows open so I'll need to get something with more fans. Since the WIndows 8 is the same price as the Windows 7, i'll probably just jump ship and go with the new OS.

Back
Top Bottom