New Video Card, Splash shows but no desktop

That option isn't in the bios, it's there when you hit F8 right before booting into Windows. It's the same as safe mode options screen, but if done properly it has all options.

To figure out specifically what it is, take your card out and use only the IGP. When you boot into Windows if it does the same thing (black screen) just plug your monitor into the different ports to see if either of them work. if you only have one display output on your board, if it doesn't display anything with the GPU out, then you have a different problem.

If you do get display with onboard, install your GPU, then you need to go into the bios and figure out how to disable your IGP if possible and try swapping around the connections to see (output connections on the card while Windows is booted) if something pops up. Also, if you have digital connections it's best to use that (HDMI/DVI) due to Windows natively popping the main screen to the digital connection when plugged in if a default isn't set.

I just finished trying to boot from "low resolution display" from settings, still the same thing happened, Splash screen, windows loading screen fade then nothing.

What you mentioned here I actually tried this morning my IGP it can output both HDMI and VGA. When I put the card in and have the VGA or HDMI connected (recently I've been sticking with the VGA cable cause it's closer) when the display fades out (like normal) I did try to plug the other cables in, DVI off the card on the the mother board, then I unplugged that and tried the VGA on the mother board and it was the same display.

Also I've tried installing the card with out the power cable connected, and nothing showed up at all from boot to windows loading.

Even if I have a cable connected to the onboard and NOT the card, the system all ways puts the display through the card and not what I have it plugged into.

I would LOVE it if I could install the card, but have my display on the onboard, have windows load, then I could do a install hardware and display drivers and reboot.

I thought if I went into the bios and make Onboard my primary video display that it would do this, but alas when I did it, it again went through the card PCIe and not the onboard which I had the video cable connected.

**all so thank you both for trying to help me, I'm not gonna give up just gotta figure out whats wrong D:

Last edited:
I just did it again, installed card and after the splash screen, windows loading bar and it faded, I then unplugged the card and check each of the onboard outputs, they had zero signal.

The output on the card had a signal just nothing there.

Could it be my PCIe slot? could I go into the device manager and disable and enable it see if that does anything?

If you take your card out completely your onboard IS the default display device. Worry about finding your video source first, then worry about drivers and such for the card.

The end all be all, put your HDD on another PC, backup your crap, wipe it, install Windows fresh with the new card.

Back
Top Bottom