Game desktop (help a brother out!)

Ok, a new development for the windows install... I get the error code 0x80070017 which (according to this topic: ERROR Code 0x80070017 ) means that

The error 0x80070017 translates to "CRC Error", means that the files that are being copied from DVD are not making it to the hard drive with the exact structure. Mostly because the original files on the disk are being modified/changed/corrupted during copying it to the "destination" location on the HDD during installation.

It usually can be caused either a bad DVD, or a reading error on the DVD drive.
So what did I do wrong??

(it's windows 8 btw)

Last edited:
Not really sure how to do that. It says I need an ISO file for that and I can get one by downloading it from the windows site with my product key... but it says I must be on the computer I want to install it on...

I don't want to accidentally furnish my old laptop with windows 8.

Not really sure how to do that. It says I need an ISO file for that and I can get one by downloading it from the windows site with my product key... but it says I must be on the computer I want to install it on...

Was already explained in a previous post.

You use a program like UltraISO (which I believe still has a free trial period) or Imgburn to create the ISO, then use the Windows to USB tool from Microsoft to put it on a flash drive that is 4GB or above in size. It's relatively simple, and neither process requires you to use your key.

It will eliminate the DVD drive potential problems if there is any. This way here, if you have any issues installing it will be the copy of Windows.
Also, installing from flash drive is quicker.

I gave links to the tool in my previous post.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

I just can't catch a break. Everytime I try to make a copy of the dvd using poweriso I get a F-drive error (cyclical redundancy check).

I'm really losing my mind here.

In another PC it gives the mistake "error in the I/O device" when I try making an image of the dvd.

So it's actually the windows dvd that's faulty I think. Since it's impossible the dvd drives of two laptops (both drives worked recently) both decided to go broken at the same time.

So what should I do? Return the disk to the shop (and what if they say it's my problem or what if they blame me? I'm certain I didn't destroy the disk)? Can I use the key to download the files from a website and put them on the stick? Are they obliged to give me a new CD since I paid for the key not the CD?

Last edited:
Ah ok. Check to see if the disc is scratched. If it isn't you have an odd problem going on. I would call Microsoft to see if you can just download an ISO to use with your key because your disc is damaged. I know there were ways of doing this with 7 but I'm not sure about 8.

Back
Top Bottom