New Video Card, Splash shows but no desktop

Masoner

Solid State Member
very strange issue indeed.

I used a driver sweeper to remove the old drivers (I had a HD4350) I think shut down my system and installed the new card + power cord via the new PSU I bought 550watt.

On boot up, the splash screen shows up, the set up screen shows up, the normal dos looking screen shows up and even the Windows loading bar shows up.

Then (normally) windows fades and then reappears with my desktop. But now, it fades and stays faded as windows continues to load in the background D:

I know it loads cause I can use the Window Key, right right right (arrow), Enter and it shuts down!

I've updated my Chipset drivers.

I've downloaded and installed the new catalyst for the HD7770 series.

First connection was to DVI to DVI (no adapter) to monitor

Second connection was from older LCD display VGA to VGA (w/ DVI adapter) still the same.

Currently I'm connected to onboard display which turned out to be a Geforce 9100 (I've never used on board display before, all ways used the HD4530 card). Also since I got rid of my old drivers, my older card does the same exact thing as well.

Boots, Splash Screen, Set up screen, Windows load bar.. fade out and not back in, I never drop signal to monitor (never says "no signal)

It's like there is some sort of confusion and it's loading a odd driver?

Thoughts opinions very welcome!

I'd check your BIOS settings to make sure that you're actually using the PCI slot for primary graphics not the IGP setting.

I'd check your BIOS settings to make sure that you're actually using the PCI slot for primary graphics not the IGP setting.

So you think that as windows is bringing up my desk top that it's stopping the display @ the card and putting it some where else, like back to onboard cause the lack of drivers?

It's interesting cause even if I have the display adapter set to onboard for primary, it still uses the PCIe card when it's installed, for me to get the onboard output to work I have to take the card back out.

Please keep these ideas coming!

On boot, press F8 after the splash screen to get the advanced boot menu.
If XP, pick "Enable VGA mode" or w/e it's called. For Vista/7/8, I believe it's called Low-res mode or something similar. See if that gets Windows to point the display to the right adapter.

Drivers aren't an issue here. Windows is just sending the main display somewhere else. Just gotta figure out where.

That is actually good to hear. I'll go into the bios settings with the card in and on primary adapter select PCIE. Though I think it was originally set to that.

On boot, press F8 after the splash screen to get the advanced boot menu.
If XP, pick "Enable VGA mode" or w/e it's called. For Vista/7/8, I believe it's called Low-res mode or something similar. See if that gets Windows to point the display to the right adapter.

Are you referring to "safe mode" or in Vista there is something else you are talking about?

Are you referring to "safe mode" or in Vista there is something else you are talking about?

No, not Safe Mode; it's on that same screen, however. Just arrow down to the "Enable low-resolution video (640x480)" option. Slim chance it will work since that's usually for driver issues, or if you set a resolution outside of the monitor's capabilities.. but you never know until you try.

No, not Safe Mode; it's on that same screen, however. Just arrow down to the "Enable low-resolution video (640x480)" option. Slim chance it will work since that's usually for driver issues, or if you set a resolution outside of the monitor's capabilities.. but you never know until you try.

Ok let me tell you watch I discovered this morning.

When I connected my older VGA LCD display, it showed the resolution of the flash screen to be 640 x 480 then when after the Windows Loading bar and if faded out it remained @ 640 x 480 - there remained a signal, cause it never went to a "no signal" or "power save mode"

I started to think what was happening was the card can display the 640 x 480 but when my desktop is loading it's settings are too high and wont be displaying.

My fix fir this was to go into the settings (after taken the card out and using the onboard again) and under the adapter section going to "all modes" and selecting a 640 x 480. I tried rebooting installing card but the result was the same.

Splash screen.. loading bar... then fade out and nothing.

I will put the card back in, check the bios again for your 'enable low resolution video" and see.

That option isn't in the bios, it's there when you hit F8 right before booting into Windows. It's the same as safe mode options screen, but if done properly it has all options.

To figure out specifically what it is, take your card out and use only the IGP. When you boot into Windows if it does the same thing (black screen) just plug your monitor into the different ports to see if either of them work. if you only have one display output on your board, if it doesn't display anything with the GPU out, then you have a different problem.

If you do get display with onboard, install your GPU, then you need to go into the bios and figure out how to disable your IGP if possible and try swapping around the connections to see (output connections on the card while Windows is booted) if something pops up. Also, if you have digital connections it's best to use that (HDMI/DVI) due to Windows natively popping the main screen to the digital connection when plugged in if a default isn't set.

Back
Top Bottom