Game desktop (help a brother out!)

All right, making good progress now. I'm doing the wiring. One problem though: there's one four-pin set on the mobo for the chassis fan. Problem is, both chassis fans got a wire and I only seem to have a four pin thing for the cpu fan and one for the chassis... How do I solve this?

I've never had to have the motherboard "hold" the IO shield in. It always snaps into the case in every one I've done.

Make sure you're using the one that the motherboard came with rather than the one that's installed in the case. They usually have different port layouts and such.
Not what I meant at all. You need to apply pressure to the board to keep it aligned because the pins on the back of the shield push it back. This is after you snap it into the rectangle hole.

All right, making good progress now. I'm doing the wiring. One problem though: there's one four-pin set on the mobo for the chassis fan. Problem is, both chassis fans got a wire and I only seem to have a four pin thing for the cpu fan and one for the chassis... How do I solve this?

Check the case parts box or whatever, there should be molex adapters for the case fans.

There's a molex adaptor for the 4 inch pin but there isn't an adaptor for the three-pin receivers of the heat fans. Might've missed something though, so I'll give it another look.

-- almost done with the rest of the wiring btw. My head is aching and my eyes are sore but I think it's almost done.

There's a molex adaptor for the 4 inch pin but there isn't an adaptor for the three-pin receivers of the heat fans. Might've missed something though, so I'll give it another look.

-- almost done with the rest of the wiring btw. My head is aching and my eyes are sore but I think it's almost done.

Stick with it! Very exciting moments approaching!

You can plug the CPU cooler fan on the top 4pin, and the rear exhaust fan on the other fan header on the board. If there are no 3pin fan to 4pin Molex adapters in the goody box with the case then you'll need to find/buy some adapters for the front fans of your case. The exhaust setup should suffice until you do this, as those adapters are real cheap.

Just for the record, the ASRock board I linked prior has 3 fan headers as opposed to only 2. :p

Ok, I decided to do a test using one chassis fan (until I find a solution). Everything appears to be spinning but I don't have any visuals or sounds. My new benq screen is plugged into the motherboard (on the back of the case) but doesn't detect a signal. Might this be because the screen has to be plugged to the video card or not? I don't have an HDMI cable so I can only use the plug on the motherboard.

Also, about the video card. I got two plugs in it (6 pin and 8 pin I think) and those two cables then each split into two molex adaptors which I then connected to the power supply (4 times). Is that right or do I need to connect it with something else?

Coudn't find the Asrock board so that's a pity. But I think the ASUS isn't that bad either.

Everything seems to be whirring though (the one chassis fan, cpu fan, video card, green light on the mobo) so I think its just the visuals who aren't working. Not sure if I'm supposed to get a sound at this stage.

You need to take the video card out if you can't use it, although an HDMI to DVI adapter may have been supplied. Check your video card box.

As to GPU power, the PSU should have 2 cables specifically for the GPU. You shouldn't need to use those adapters at all.

Not what I meant at all. You need to apply pressure to the board to keep it aligned because the pins on the back of the shield push it back. This is after you snap it into the rectangle hole.

My bad, misread what you meant.

So I don't need to connect anything to my gpu except my mobo (via the slot I plugged the cpi slot I plugged it in)?
No, until you can hook up your actual video card to your monitor you need to physically take the card out so you can easily use the onboard video (the port on the motherboard).

As to the GPU power, we can come to that later when you find yourself an HDMI/DVI cable.

My bad, misread what you meant.
Yea sorry, wasn't very clear on that one. Although, OP got it so guess that's what matters.

Back
Top Bottom