I need a new motherboard huh?

I just received this from support.

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I heard from the service engineering team and they state the Ivy and Sandy Bridge boards have separate BIOS updates and they are not interchangeable (as the hardware is slightly different between models).
-P02 is the version for Sandy Bridge mainboards.
-P03 is the version for Ivy Bridge mainboards
Your machine shipped with P02-A2 which is the latest BIOS available for that model. Unfortunately for your motherboard we do not offer a BIOS update to support the processor you have. I hope this clarifies.

Thanks for your help, but I will need a new board.

That is utter BS as they are all the same ****ing chipset and board. Next time, don't buy a prebuilt chap.

I would still like to see an attached screenshot of the motherboard tab on CPU-Z, for science.

So I ordered an Intel Core i5-3570K, tried it in my motherboard, didn't work, started beeping at me. Tried to update the BIOS from the Acer website, failed.

My motherboard supports an Intel® H67 Express Chipset. Therefore is can't handle a 3rd generation i5 right?

Question how many beeps did it give you ?
Was the beeping constant and not going off ?

4 beeps. Fans would try to start a few times, and stop. Then it ran but never posted.

2r5t6ch.jpg

4 beeps. Fans would try to start a few times, and stop. Then it ran but never posted.

May sound strange but open up your computer lay it flat and check the psu connectors to the motherboard.
See if anything may have wiggled up abit or check for chipped wires.

Also read this before you comeback:
Power-on self-test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

POST AMI BIOS beep codes[edit]
Beeps Meaning
1 Memory refresh timer error
2 Parity error in base memory (first 64 KiB block)
3 Base memory read/write test error
4 Motherboard timer not operational (check all PSU to MB connectors seated)
5 Processor failure
6 8042 Gate A20 test error (cannot switch to protected mode)
7 General exception error (processor exception interrupt error)
8 Display memory error (system video adapter)
9 AMI BIOS ROM checksum fix
10 CMOS shutdown register read/write fix
11 Cache memory test failed
12 Motherboard does not detect a RAM module (continuous beeping)

If its not anything loose your last bet is to rma the board with acer.
Tell them you have verified it is a bios problem and they need to replace it or give you a replacement board if necessary.

Just not detecting the CPU due to the bios not supporting it. Sometimes you can get lucky and it'll use a generic name but most of the time it just won't post.

Definitely a rebranded board, but without some high res photos can't pinpoint the "actual" model number to get a proper bios for it. That being said, on to business.

You have a couple of options. Buy a new motherboard to host the CPU, which will need to be a Z77 board since you bought a K CPU. Or, depending on the use of the PC you can take the CPU back and upgrade elsewhere. If you want to simply get a new motherboard to stuff in that case, here is a great option.
ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

If the PCs intended purpose is gaming and you haven't updated your PSU and GPU, then I would take the CPU back and look at upgrading those instead. If you have the stock PSU that came with the unit, I don't recommend trying to overclock a chip like the 3570k on it. I wouldn't OC it in that case either, due to lack of proper airflow.

Edit: Mike, his regular CPU works. It's bios support as it's an H67 board which natively does not support IB CPUs and requires a bios flash of which they have ****ed their customers on.

You have a couple of options. Buy a new motherboard to host the CPU, which will need to be a Z77 board since you bought a K CPU. Or, depending on the use of the PC you can take the CPU back and upgrade elsewhere. If you want to simply get a new motherboard to stuff in that case, here is a great option.
ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

If the PCs intended purpose is gaming and you haven't updated your PSU and GPU, then I would take the CPU back and look at upgrading those instead. If you have the stock PSU that came with the unit, I don't recommend trying to overclock a chip like the 3570k on it. I wouldn't OC it in that case either, due to lack of proper airflow.

Edit: Mike, his regular CPU works. It's bios support as it's an H67 board which natively does not support IB CPUs and requires a bios flash of which they have ****ed their customers on.

Ok mguire what do you want to do, you know they have a bios for the motherboard.
You can A. call them tomorrow yourself and check with tier 2 technical support to see if they have an available bios.
If they don't have one and I have a bad feeling they won't have one. :/
You go to newegg and grab a board and let this person decide if they want to go that route.

Lemme know what you do here or by email.

MikeTecnology

What does it matter? It's not my board so he can make the decisions. I'm 100% certain there is a bios for the board, or one can be made to flash it. Will they give it to either of us? No, because they want him to buy a new machine for that performance improvement.

What does it matter? It's not my board so he can make the decisions. I'm 100% certain there is a bios for the board, or one can be made to flash it. Will they give it to either of us? No, because they want him to buy a new machine for that performance improvement.

Just call the damn people at acer and find out if they have an available bios or not.
If they "DO" please have them email you a link to your inbox and bring it back here.
Next I want you to show him or her this:
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G530 - Newegg.com

:/

If they can get, have them do the bios procedure upgrade with this.

What? I go out of my way enough on these forums, I'm not making phone calls for people.

Also, the OP still has their original chip which I'm under the impression is still good.

Back
Top Bottom