Server 2003 licensing requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertoe

Beta member
Scenario is: server machine running Win Server 2003 Standard in a workgroup environment (there is no domain in our office, nor will one be set up) and approximately 20 client computers running Win98SE. Server will share a local folder accessible to all clients concurrently. That will be its only job. Is a separate CAL still required for each client computer if the server is operating in a workgroup environment?

I downloaded evalutation version from the M$ website and configured it for Per Server licensing with the standard 5 licenses. Thus far I have had at least 7 machines concurrently accessing the network share without any indication of EULA violation or problems with access. The licensing administration utility tells me I have 5 licenses installed yet 0 being used.

I know they are definitely required if the server were to be on a domain. Does the same hold true for a workgroup?

-uT

Q: Why can I add more users log on to a Windows Server 2003 terminal server than I've bought per-user licenses?
A: Because Windows Server 2003 doesn't have very effective bookkeeping for per-user TSCALs. As you may recall, the addition of per-user licensing came fairly late in the day, in RC2, and so the TSCAL support wasn't included in each user's Active Directory object or otherwise. There is currently no definite timeline for a fix; the worst-case scenario is that the fix will be part of Longhorn, but Microsoft hopes to have it released before then. The lack of per-user TSCAL tracking or management does not mean that you can legally issue more licenses than you've paid for, just that your license server may do it if you're not careful to buy enough licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom