new bits advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of upgrading... have so far done PSU, RAM, Case, HD, Soundcard,...

I am due to get money for christmas as that is what I have asked for from my relatives when they asked what I wanted. I dont expect to get a huge amount of money so will probably put some in myself towards these upgrades.

I want to get a new Mobo, Processor and Graphics card

I have been looking at the following:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe (socket 754, VIA K8T800, Serial ATA150 RAID, AGP 8x, ATX, 3xDIMM, USB 2.0, FireWire, sound, Gigabit LAN)

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Socket 754

GeForce PCX6600GT 256MB PCI-E DVI-I VO <-- I wanna have decent graphics for a change... is this card anygood or should I fork out for the 6800 series?

Thing is am a bit out of touch these days and dont know how good these items are... if anyone has any ideas or alternatives or anything, I would really appreciate the input... I want to have a kick arse system and dont want to rush in and buy naff parts like I have in the past (Yay... 2 burned out PSUs, 1 burned out mobo, 1 destroyed grfx card and a fried soundcard... due to a PSU being faulty.. Now I dont buy cheap, I try to buy quality and nothing has burned out on me for at least 2 years (touch wood) well apart from my old deathstar that just died)

6600 is good to go, newer and higher core clocks (50Mhz higher than 6800, this i'm talking about 6600GT version).

and rather K8V, get A8V mobo and 939 pin processor (lowest u can find).

* keep in mind while buying the vga card, that A8V supports AGP bus rather than PCI-E. so get the video card with AGP bus (weather its 6600 or 6800)

(or), wait until january/february, as VIA are coming with K8T890 chipset for PCI-E platforms, and this will as well be future safe. so most recommended.

Cheers for the advice... I have done some research now and I have decided that I will got for a 939 processor and Mobo, and will get an AGP 8x graphics card.

I notice the nforce4 boards are starting to surface and will perhaps get one of these, an athlon 64 3400+ or 3500+ (939) and that Geforce 6600 GT but an agp edition!

But I suppose I need to wait and see what is out in january,

Any advice on any components? I always use ASUS for mobos at the moment... are gigabyte and Abit anygood?

I wont do intel so thats not an issue it will have to be an Athlon 64

But is the 6600GT good in comparison to an ATI card? I tend to shy away from ATI, but it all depends on reliability and performance and I could be swayed!

Cheers

i'll suggest Asus, are you going to buy dual Graphics card? and if its PCI-E u r running after, then i'll recommend a little wait.

nVidia were fast enough to bring out their PCI-E chipset for AMD Athlons, but VIA's on their way with K8T890 PRO, and it will be performace Blast, that I am sure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom