Need help reformatting Acer Laptop

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
A good friend of mine asked me to look at her laptop. It is crazy slow and has so many programs, viruses, bloatware, etc. we both agree it would be best to wipe the HDD clean and reinstall Windows Vista and ONLY the Acer drivers for now.

She purchased this Acer Laptop 5 years ago and never had anti virus of software on it. It is messed up big time as in 10 minutes to boot, massive programs attempting to load for another 20 minutes, etc.

She has lost her restore discs and there is no restore option in the D disc as most laptops offer.

When I attempt to run Gparted live, the computer simply shuts down and will not permit it. When I attempt to remove programs, the computer says I have no admin rights to do so.

I would like to wipe the HDD clean and start all over.

How can I proceed?

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
Pull the hdd from her laptop and attach it to a different machine and format it there or run gparted and format it.

How were you going to reinstall the OS?

I have several copies of legit Windows Vista. I thought I might do a clean install of Windows Vista and then install the drivers found at Acer's website.

Another thought was to call Acer for the restore discs.

Any ideas for me?

Pull the hdd from her laptop and attach it to a different machine and format it there or run gparted and format it.

I am concerned it would infect another computer if I did so. Is there any other way to do this?

GParted Live is a LiveCD that boots independently of the OS.

Yes, it is...so why does the laptop shut down every time I attempt to use Gparted Live?

Please help me if ya can!

Soar

If you're installing Vista from a cd, just wipe it from inside of Windows PE. I'd say it'll save you from more hassle.

If you're installing Vista from a cd, just wipe it from inside of Windows PE. I'd say it'll save you from more hassle.

So sorry, I am not sure what Windows PE is.

Also, we just tried to boot off of a Windows Vista CD, and as the computer was loading WIndows, it shut down again.

I am thinking there is terrible virus that is shutting down the computer every time we attempt to change the OS, or due to an admin password, the computer will not permit us to format the HDD.

Can anyone help us know how to erase this dog?

Thanks,

Soar

Normally, booting off of external media should not have anything to do with the internal hdd (whether it works or not). When the computer shuts down, does it give you a message or something?

I guess you could see if booting from the cd works if the HDD is not present. If it still doesn't work, then I have a feeling there's something else wrong.

Also, can you verify that the media you're using works on another computer?

It's probably overheating or has some other hardware issue if it's shutting down while loading a boot disc. If it's done it with several sets of media now (GParted, Vista disc), I'd say it's an issue with the system itself.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, does it have a temperature sensor by chance?

Normally, booting off of external media should not have anything to do with the internal hdd (whether it works or not). When the computer shuts down, does it give you a message or something?

I guess you could see if booting from the cd works if the HDD is not present. If it still doesn't work, then I have a feeling there's something else wrong.

Also, can you verify that the media you're using works on another computer?

Yes, I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue. Today the lady told me it would often shut down randomly. Crap. She didn't mention that before. I thought it was a simply wipe the HDD, reinstall Windows, reinstall drivers, and done deal.

Yes, I do verify the media works on other computers too.

It's probably overheating or has some other hardware issue if it's shutting down while loading a boot disc. If it's done it with several sets of media now (GParted, Vista disc), I'd say it's an issue with the system itself.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, does it have a temperature sensor by chance?

Now I too believe it is a hardware issue. I have gotten into BIOS no problem, but no temp readings to be found.

I will attempt to install SIW or CPUID hardware monitor to see some temperatures.

I suppose I can try Mem86+ to see if the RAM is ok. I was hoping this was a simply reinstall the OS issue.

Now, I am considering to tell her to buy a new laptop! This thing is a piece of junk.

Does anyone have any more advice or suggestions on how to get this laptop up and running?

Soar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom