What should I upgrade?

steve10765

Daemon Poster
What should I upgrade? Like an order of what I should upgrade.
First is my PSU, its pretty bad quality wise.
then my mobo?
then I will OC my stuff more.
then I will most likely get a new CPU, haswell
then I will get a new GPU, most likely 700 series, 800 series will already be out

what do you think about this? this is over the span of 2 years or so. what should my roadmap be for upgrading? Should I get a new PSU, then just OC the **** out of my CPU, then let that break my mobo, then upgrade my cpu and mobo at the same time?

I am a person who likes plans, I like knowing whats going to happen and what to do when it does. any suggestions? I am pretty confused of how I plan on doing things.

PS: I am mainly upgrading to quality parts etc, if i wanted a performance upgrade i would just get a better psu and a nice gpu, but i quality stuff if you know what im saying

Your CPU and motherboard are fine currently. You won't "break" your motherboard by keeping a 4GHz OC, and honestly don't need anymore.

PSU, then GPU. 800 series will be out spring next year.

a 750 watt psu will leave me open to lots of GPU's that I could run. so thats like a 500 watt GPU i could put in? too much?
I doubt i will spend over $350 on a graphics card when i make my next upgrade in maybe 2 years or so

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
you think this would be fine for the future?

or RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

its $7 more and has at least 82% efficiency like the rosewill.

And i don't think rosewill is that great of a brand. My Rosewill challenger case broke after about 2 months. the front USB 3 stopped working, and fell in a few hours later. I just asked for a replacement part....

No, stick to Seasonic or Corsair like I mentioned before. Both the TX650 and S620 modular is 20 bucks more than the Rosewill and will give much better quality than it.

Absolutely no to any PSU Raidmax in all of time.

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

It looks good also nice with a 5 year warranty. The thing that sucks is its $$$.
Couldnt I get a cheap 700 watt PSU and just have it low quality but make up for it with the extra watts. Do you highly recommend the corsair psu? I mean it looks very high quality, 50C operating temps normally, 105C capacitors. Its so good the fan turns off at low loads.

how about this corsair? Amazon.com: Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS* 80 PLUS (CX600): Computers & Accessories
750 watts and the same price, with up to 85% efficiency 80 Plus Bronze

What exactly is $$$? It's 20 dollars more base price over the Rosewill for a much better quality unit. Not only that but that particular unit comes with a 20 dollar rebate card.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - Newegg.com

This particular one is the one I'm talking about (Seasonic OEM) and it comes with a 10 dollar rebate card.

Another unit which I was referring to is this one.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Modular, with a 15 dollar promo code. Or if you don't care about modular.
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Cheaper than the Rosewill.

I make a big deal about power supplies in my thread for a reason.

PSU is first on that list because this unit is the most important part of your computer whether you are gaming, 3D Modeling, Rendering, or making a server. I brushed on this before but I want to put it here too. If you use a cheap PSU it could undervolt your system from day one, die randomly, or send a spike through your PC blowing up parts if the voltage input drops or goes higher. A cheap unit does not regulate the voltage as good as a quality unit, nor can they handle the actual rated wattage. A cheap unit is rated at their peak wattage, a quality unit is rated at what they can handle for long periods of time and usually have an overhead of 100-200w give or take. This unit sends electricity to every single piece in your computer that you put money into. When you get a power brown or surge it can mean the death or life of your parts as well.

To add on to that, more wattage on a **** unit doesn't mean squat. If they use cheap parts inside, have bad solder joints, or use weak PCBs they can die no matter how much wattage your PC is pulling. You can be browsing Facebook and the thing can die.

I don't want to sound rude here, but you DID put "quality parts" in your OP. Don't put that if you are trying to skimp out. I prefer Corsair and Seasonic for a reason, they have a long lasting reputation for spitting out good units with a low fail rate and high warranty. Antec, Silverstone, Enermax, and Thermaltake also have good high end units, but their midrange and low end usually suck. I try not to recommend Corsair's CX line because they are cheap, and for a reason. They are a notch above the rest IMO but if you're willing to drop 69 bucks on a Rosewill then save your pennies a little more and spend a little more for a Corsair or Seasonic.

Back
Top Bottom