Why does Overclocking make your parts die faster?

steve10765

Daemon Poster
Why? I always hear its because of the heat from overclocking, but take a look at my scenario.
I have my CPU at stock clocks 3.4GHZ and my max temp is 63C
I have my CPU at 4GHZ and my temps are 55C max(Hyper 212 evo, arctic silver paste)

if its the heat then shouldnt my overclocked CPU last longer than my stock CPU?
can you guys explain what overclocking does decay wise, not performance wise

More voltage required for higher clocks, more current running through the silicon. The rate of degradation is extremely low though depending on temps, cooling, volts, and clocks.

yeah I was asking out of curiosity, I play on OC'ing my graphics card to 920MHZ soon once I move my room upstairs and get the AC set up. right now its at 870MHZ factory OC'ed from 810mhz.
BTW I am on a 1360 X 760 P TV sitting about 6ft away, do you think if i had a 1080P tv it would make munch of a difference? (just wondering, I play on getting a dedicated monitor for my pc, not a another tv to use on my oc)
I can play bf3 on all ultra with 4X anti aliasing

920 should be doable as Yami got close to 1GHz on his but needed 100% fan.

Running @ 1080p would probably make you drop the AA down to 2x for higher framerates, but the quality would be better if you simply got a PC monitor.

I am just looking for a minor increase. I think the 110MHZ OC compared to the stock is a good OC. as time goes on I will OC more, prob when BF4 comes out Ill go 950MHZ. techradar has done 940MHZ on stock volts, so I am pushing me card, but I am not at the same time.

Also a question about decay and my GPU. my GPU says military class capacitors components? are these just a bit above average components that they call "military class" or are they actually high quality components? as i write this I just relized they are high quality, I mean getting the card to 1GHZ is very good, getting it to 940MHZ on stock volts is pretty good(stable)

also they have a nice 3 year warranty which backs up there statement...

I wish my CPU would go higher! just so I could do it for fun and say I can OC mine to X. the highest I can go is 4.1GHZ, 4.2 doesnt work...

950 is really nothing for those cards honestly. If you don't mind a bit of noise they will do over 1Ghz easy when you max out the volts. My 580s I ran 24/7 at 975Mhz from a stock 772Mhz. Ran the mem at 2300Mhz but both fans were always at 100% to keep it cool. The 560 has much less shaders allowing it to be clocked higher.

The military crap is marketing. They run the same Japanese caps as any other brand. The only difference is the cooler and possibly a custom PCB which might have more VRMs.

Your CPU would go higher with better cooling. You have to understand, 965/955s are volt hungry for high clocks. I ran both my 720BE and 955BE at 4.2GHz under water back in the day, but that was at 1.6v on a high end MSI board and Asus board. I also had low ambient temps, real low. Another thing to take into consideration, is your PSU can't be pushed too hard. Overclocking your 560ti is reaching over 200w itself, and 140w+ on the CPU being overclocked. It's rated at 600w, but I'm betting that's peak.

I have a pretty bad PSU, it was $30, the wires are short and barely reach the mobo, it took me forever to find out info about the PSU. its 77% at typical load... my PSU is my first upgrade.
and Dang my mobo is rated 140W so i dint want to push it.

Also on stock clocks my cpu didnt have cool n quite on and was at 1.5V %100 of the time
my OC'ed amd has cool and quite. 800mhx, 2.2GHZ, and 4ghz. the max the volts go is like 1.512 when its working hard

Yea definitely want to replace that PSU. It'll help in the long run.

Means your board supports 140w CPUs. When OCing it will go over that easy. My 955 was pushing 200+ and the FX CPUs take over that when OCd too.

When you OC, you want C&Q off actually. That just staggers your clocks and volts when there isn't a heavy load on the CPU like Intel Speedstep. To get 4.2+ you will need 1.55+ volts to the core, 1800 HT/FSB, and 1.3v to the NB and CPU/NB. To get a stable higher HT/FSB speed you'll need more volts to feed it for 2200+. Doesn't make much of a difference though as the IMC isn't very efficient in Phenom 2.

Back
Top Bottom