Game desktop (help a brother out!)

Most of my games are still on disc so I'll need one to install those. Doesn't matter, I've checked everything in and (with the savings PP Mguire proposed, thank you very much! I managed to trim things down to 1000 euros with everything included. I bet a dvd-reader doesn't cost that much).

@Steve10765: I'm not a writer but I do sometimes write. Does that make sense?

I'll definitely need wifi on my PC. But I might buy one of those wallplugs (I'm pretty far away from my router) that picks up the wifi signal and then feeds it to the PC via cable.

But I might buy one of those wallplugs (I'm pretty far away from my router) that picks up the wifi signal and then feeds it to the PC via cable.
Yeah, but then it's still a wireless signal coming in. If you're going to go that route, you might as well get powerline adapters and skip the wireless interface altogether.

Netgear XAVB1401-100FRS Pack de 2 Adaptateurs CPL Ethernet Powerline 200 Mbit/s Mini Avec prise femelle intégrée Homeplug AV+ 1 port: Amazon.fr: Informatique

I figured Europe had to have powerline adapters, and I was right. Belgium has the same power standards as France and the UK, right? (i'm assuming this is the case).

That's going to be a ****up on Amazon's part because it's B85 which is 1150, and if you Google it they say 1150 as well.

Not that it needs confirming, but B85 is most certainly 1150. I just bought and installed one and it is absolutely 1150.

Hahaha, this only goes to show how much of a tech-noob I am. But I'm starting to like this PC building idea. Especially since it's relatively cheap, this site can be a great help and Amazon is a site I trust for making big purchases.
Amazon is fine, but I used new egg. Not sure about their shipping to Europe, but they have given me $65 in promo codes since my order for no reason that I can discern other than "just because."

Most of my games are still on disc so I'll need one to install those. Doesn't matter, I've checked everything in and (with the savings PP Mguire proposed, thank you very much! I managed to trim things down to 1000 euros with everything included. I bet a dvd-reader doesn't cost that much).

@Steve10765: I'm not a writer but I do sometimes write. Does that make sense?

I'll definitely need wifi on my PC. But I might buy one of those wallplugs (I'm pretty far away from my router) that picks up the wifi signal and then feeds it to the PC via cable.

Yeah, but then it's still a wireless signal coming in. If you're going to go that route, you might as well get powerline adapters and skip the wireless interface altogether.

Netgear XAVB1401-100FRS Pack de 2 Adaptateurs CPL Ethernet Powerline 200 Mbit/s Mini Avec prise femelle intégrée Homeplug AV+ 1 port: Amazon.fr: Informatique

I figured Europe had to have powerline adapters, and I was right. Belgium has the same power standards as France and the UK, right? (i'm assuming this is the case).
Powerline adapters are still half duplex and signal can degrade when going across circuits meaning if the distance isn't that great to just get a USB or PCI-E wireless card.

Not that it needs confirming, but B85 is most certainly 1150. I just bought and installed one and it is absolutely 1150.
ASRock has been known to cross socket chipsets before. They made a P67 chipset board with an 1156 socket once. Totally threw me off but in this case it's just a typo from Amazon.

I watched the New Egg video and I have to say it doesn't look insanely hard so I've decided to build it myself. From what I can tell, the hardest parts during the building is playing the extremely fragile CPU into its sloth and the wiring.

A few questions now that I have a bit more knowledge:

- What part is the disc-reader in the build you've given me?
- Do all the parts come with the necessary cables for the build or do I need to build those separate.
- Can someone point me to a short list with what to connect to what? That way it's easy to check if I've connected everything to the right part.
-Does the cooling thing you selected(for above the CPU) come with thermal paste already applied?
- Amazon.com: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports and X-Dock (RC-692A-KKN5): Computers & Accessories

I was thinking about that case. Will the lights make it harder to build? And does anyone know if this is a good tower? (still nor really convinced though since it costs 20 pounds more than one without lights).

- What would be the easiest (and high-speed, cheap) solution to get my PC wi-fi?

Thanks so much guys! I've no idea how to thank all of you!
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...373665371&sr=8-17&keywords=cooler+master+case

Pretty much answered most already.

1. The Asus DVD/RW mentioned before.
2. Yes, you shouldn't need to buy any extra cables.
3. Not that difficult, but in the build video they should mention what all needs to be connected. Can't specify exactly on your rig until the final parts list is complete and purchased.
4. The 4570 comes with a stock cooler which comes with pre-applied thermal paste.
5. I personally feel the 690 series is better than the lower end HAF series. Another case worth looking at is the Corsair 300r too.
6. Already answered, a USB or PCI-E wireless N device.
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Adaptateur PCI Express double bande sans fil N 450 Mbps: Amazon.fr: Informatique
http://www.amazon.fr/Asus-USB-N13-A...8&qid=1373667576&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+wireless

The PCI-E card has a lot more range as opposed to the USB adapter.

Back
Top Bottom