High spec new build help

Workingtitle

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build a new pc for a bit of gaming but mostly for video editing and graphics work, and am interested to see what you guys advise as to hardware specs etc.

My budget is around £1200 ($1800) although I could push it to £1300 (roughly $2000) for the right specs. I don't need any peripherals so this is just for the actual computer. I also want this to last, as the last pc I built has lasted me for about 7 years now.

I'd be looking at including an ssd and a decent sized hdd in the build too. No need to worry about OS as I already have copies of win 7 and 8.

No need to include water cooling in this budget as I am planning to add this before the end of the year, so trying to maximize what I can buy hardware wise at the minute.

Also, I'd be interested to know what areas I could stretch the budget even further in, and what benefits that could bring!

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Chris

So you probably don't want to be asked this, but would you be willing to wait until about September to build your rig?

The reason I ask, is because your high productivity setup will call for a socket 2011 rig (6 core setup) and IB-E is coming out later this year. Better bang for your buck in regards to what you want to do. If not, I can divvy up a build for you in a jiff.

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated!

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, although I guess there's always something better just around the corner. I could probably hold on though, what sort of benefits are we talking about here?

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated!

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, although I guess there's always something better just around the corner. I could probably hold on though, what sort of benefits are we talking about here?

Intel's enthusiast line doesn't get updated often. SB-E came out in 2011 for example. IB-E supports native PCI-E 3, has more lanes, has a more efficient IMC for better handling of 8 RAM sticks, more performance, and I think all the chips in the series are unlocked for overclocking. Also with the CPU line release, better X79 boards will probably be released with more USB3 and such. Totally up to you though.

Intel's enthusiast line doesn't get updated often. SB-E came out in 2011 for example. IB-E supports native PCI-E 3, has more lanes, has a more efficient IMC for better handling of 8 RAM sticks, more performance, and I think all the chips in the series are unlocked for overclocking. Also with the CPU line release, better X79 boards will probably be released with more USB3 and such. Totally up to you though.

OK cool. Sounds like it could be worth the wait. Realistically speaking though, would I be able to get a decent system with the new components within my budget? Or would I be looking at a base spec system?

I believe you have a good enough budget to make a respectable system to do what you want, but the GPU will be slightly lacking to accommodate the high end CPU. Since you don't need peripherals or an OS it helps things greatly. We just built an i5/GTX760 setup in Euro for another user here which required everything down to the monitor.

OK great, thanks! If it's not too much trouble I'd be really interested to see what I could get now, even just what the basics would be.

I had looked at some components myself like a Haswell i7 and a GTX660Ti GPU, Z87 MB etc, but I'm assuming that won't be any good?

It's good, but a 6 core would be much better for what you want to do. Also, no point in a 660ti when a 760 is cheaper and better.

Give me a minute for a few build options.

Edit: Pouring here, might be more than a minute. Using my phone currently since net is down but you're offline anyways.

Last edited:
It's good, but a 6 core would be much better for what you want to do. Also, no point in a 660ti when a 760 is cheaper and better.

Give me a minute for a few build options.

Edit: Pouring here, might be more than a minute. Using my phone currently since net is down but you're offline anyways.

No problem, the time difference meant bedtime for me! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on build options :D

Well, I forgot haha. Got into some old tapes and such, totally forgot. Nearly bed time for me too.

Luckily, I'm bored so here goes nothing.

Rig #1
CPU:
Intel CPU i7 4770K CPU Intel HD Graphics Processor with Heat Sink Fan Retail - BX80646I74770K - Scan.co.uk

Motherboard:
Asus B85M-E - Scan.co.uk

RAM:
Corsair Memory XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) CAS 11-11-11-30 Dual Channel Desktop - CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 - Scan.co.uk

GPU:
2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 760 - 02G-P4-2760-KR - Scan.co.uk

PSU:
Seasonic X-Series 650W Full Modular Power Supply 80+ GOLD (PSU) - SS-650KM3 - Scan.co.uk

HDD+SSD:
Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive OEM ST1000DM003 - ST1000DM003 - Scan.co.uk
Corsair 240GB Neutron Series GTX SSD - Solid State Drive - CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK - Scan.co.uk

Case:
Corsair Carbide 300R Mid Tower Gaming Case Black No PSU - CC-9011014-WW - Scan.co.uk

Rig#2

Same stuff as before, except swap these two components.

CPU:
Intel CPU Core i7 3930K (C2) Sandybridge-E Unlocked Six Core Socket 2011 Processor BX80619I73930K - Scan.co.uk

Motherboard:
ASROCK X79 EXTREME3 Motherboard - X79 EXTREME 3 - Scan.co.uk

Rig 2 is much better geared towards high CPU tasks like video editing, audio editing, Photoshop, ect. The 4770k will get the job done, but if you're that serious about what you do for productivity the 3930k will still be faster than the 4770k. IB-E hex's will further that gap here in a few months, which will run on the same motherboard and setup provided.

Really, up to you. The case is just a generic one I put into basically all builds as a starter. The 760 is capable of some good gaming if you want, while will also help in areas like Photoshop. The large SSD will further increase the general performance of the PC, while the 1TB provides the storage which can be upgraded as well.

Back
Top Bottom