Game desktop (help a brother out!)

Major Rawne

Baseband Member
I have to admit, I'm kind of an analphabet when it comes to technicalities, specs and hardware. I know more expensive usually means better but I have no clue about price-value comparison. I can barely read benchmarks.

This lack of knowledge is pretty crippling when it comes to buying a new gaming desktop. I've been searching for a while now but I never seem to find an affordable, durable gaming desktop that meets my criteria. I'm looking for a PC that will run new-gen games for the next couple of years. Preferably at "very high" first and then on average later (after a year -- maybe two?).

My budget isn't really all that high I'm afraid. It hovers between €700-1000 euros (including the "tower", the screen, the speakers and a keyboard). Maybe I could go to €1200 but only if it really makes a difference.

I've done some digging around and I found this site and although the PCs there look more like transformers than desktops they do have decent specs. I was thinking about getting the Shadowfury-V4 but I have no idea if that PC will run the games I'm talking about (the most important question for me is: will the computer run Dragon Age III: Inquisition on max. settings or not?). And aren't those PCs heavily overpriced? Will I pay too much because it comes in a dazzling case with lights and whatnot (because I couldn't care less about those).

Also the site mentions "overclocking" what is that? I've also considered building my own PC but as I'm not quite tech savvy, I'd like to know how hard that is. And where I should buy the parts (where aren't they overpriced?). Or will someone with a big heart help me pick out the parts? Any help would be appreciated. If this wasn't the internet,I'd offer you a cold beer for the trouble...

Please help me out. My old PC is more than ready to retire after four years of faithful service and I'd like to play my games without the constant crashes.

The first you really want to decide is if you want to build your own PC or buy a pre-made one. You will ALWAYS lose value if you decide to buy a pre-built machine vs. building your own (granted your not buying a "used" pre-built). You can build a beastly machine for 1200 euros, which would stomp a pre-made, or even a, so-called, "custom-built" machine that someone/some company would make for you.

The first you really want to decide is if you want to build your own PC or buy a pre-made one. You will ALWAYS lose value if you decide to buy a pre-built machine vs. building your own (granted your not buying a "used" pre-built). You can build a beastly machine for 1200 euros, which would stomp a pre-made, or even a, so-called, "custom-built" machine that someone/some company would make for you.

That does sound very tempting, building my own PC. The thing is I don't know if I have the skill set for it. I've heard (from a semi-reliable source) that it's not that easy and that it's very easy to break (expensive!) parts. Shortages could ruin everything and I've even heard that some parts are so fragile even a wrong touch could break them.

I mean I'm all for trying to build my own PC especially if I can count on your expertise. But I'm also terribly afraid that I'll do something wrong and do damage to my PC (long-term or short-term) or that I'll break some part. Or get stuck without anyone to clean up the mess I've made.

I mean I'm all for trying to build my own PC especially if I can count on your expertise. But I'm also terribly afraid that I'll do something wrong and do damage to my PC (long-term or short-term) or that I'll break some part. Or get stuck without anyone to clean up the mess I've made.
Trust me, you'll get so much more bang for your "euro" by building your own.

I'm usually online weekdays from 8am-4:30pm my time(14:00-22:30 yours).
The big thing though will be looking up videos online for yourself about assembling.
But honestly, most components, nowadays, are very straightforward and easy to install. These companies want to make the building process as painless as possible so to attract new builders like yourself.

I suppose I could look up parts for you to buy, but normally I'd wait until PP-Mguire chimes in (definitely respect his opinion).

Last edited:
And there's little risk I accidentally break expensive components or create shortages and ruin everything? Because I have to say I am becoming more and more intrigued by building myself.

And there's little risk I accidentally break expensive components or create shortages and ruin everything? Because I have to say I am becoming more and more intrigued by building myself.
I mean unless you, blatantly, rub a balloon all over yourself before you touch the motherboard, just take some precautions when dealing with the fairly sensitive stuff. But, really, most people that I know just make sure to "ground" themselves before dealing with their components by touching some metal. Also, don't wear socks if your going to be working on it on a carpeted surface, but really try to assemble it on a hard surface like on a table or counter.

EDIT: As for the fragility of components, everyone is always over-sensitive on their first build, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. But some of these things do require a little bit of force to get them into place, which may feel at the time like you're breaking it (i.e.- placing the RAM modules in their slots on the motherboard).

Last edited:
Oh boy, a nervous person like me is going to freak out when I have to apply force :p Can't wait for that part.

Ah well, I guess in the worse case scenario I can always take the parts to a shop and ask them to assemble right?

Oh boy, a nervous person like me is going to freak out when I have to apply force :p Can't wait for that part.

Ah well, I guess in the worse case scenario I can always take the parts to a shop and ask them to assemble right?
Yeah, you probably could. I wouldn't see them turning away a potential customer.

Remember going to my friend to help me build the PC... and he wouldn't help me unless I socketed the CPU. <_<;

In other news, watching them didn't seem too difficult. Most of it was checking the manual and motherboard manual/diagram to check what slot is where. The most confusing to me was the PSU power cables and making sure everything was right.

But there are videos, NewEgg has a nice "How to Build a PC" video which I can try to look for real quick.

Edit:
Here is the link
Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

Another question that popped into my mind. Does it take long to build your own PC? I was kind of hoping to have my new PC asap. I've read the assembling doesn't take too long. But if you buy parts how long does it take for those to ship?

Back
Top Bottom