3ds max

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am going to school for animation in january (AI Las Vegas) ... Both Max and Maya are professional applications and are difficult to learn (I have an associates in graphic design and I have used both). Max is easier to learn (mainly because of the user interface) but as you become more profficient with it, you can branch out to other aps like maya (which is very customizable for professionals who know what they are doing).

I am building a new computer and I have talked to techies at my new school about suggestions. They said to avoild ati cards, and that nvidea cards are alot more stable in modeling/animation applications (I am not talking about videogames here, just 3d applications ... dont hate me ati guys).

I don't want to start a new post so I'm asking a specific question about 3ds max.
Is there anything I need to do to make 3ds max more compatible with my system? It seems to me that it should be running better... but it's not. I've used it on other systems so I have a good idea of how the program should run. Shankyou very much (if you respond).

wow... that is expensive! But my brother asked his school and i can get it around 300 from them so thats an amaising deal.
College discounts are usually very good. This is a marketing ploy to get students using the software. Once you use it, the chances of you buying more of it in the future are great.

Is there anything I need to do to make 3ds max more compatible with my system?
I'll give you the straight and skinny now...The work being done for movies, and all the professional work being done on publication games, is not being done on computers like the one under your desk.

Still, you can do pretty much anything you want with standard PC stuff. If you're worried about something, just shoot an email to discrete with your hardware and software and let them tell you what they think. That's the best thing to do.

raiden_nrl instead of shelling out a ton of money for something you don't know how to use you should download the trial versions of 3DS Max from the discreet website. Thats a lot of money to invest in software. All 3D modeling / animation programs can render scenes as AVI, MPEG, etc. Just animate the camera, it's just like making a hollywood movie. You are the sound editor, character editor, cameraman, director, story writer,etc. You have to do all the rest in post production with other softwares like adobe premiere. remember, try before you buy

i was certified in 3d max just this past year. ... starting to teach myself maya. i think they're both great software packages. stick with one or the other. 3d max is industry standard.

i have used 3dsmax quite a bit and i believe it is much easier to learn and use than maya. it has amazing material capablities as well as character studio and raytrace functions. the thing you need to look out for as far as performance on your system goes is that you have A) most importantly 512md ram at least with a 128mb dedicated video card. nvidia models tend to work best with 3d modeling software. quadro cards are ideal for this because they dont focus on graphics display such as gaming and rather on graphics processing power. the 2nd most important thing thought is that you have a fast harddrive. 3dsmax is always accessing information from your harddrive and you will see an incredible dramatic decrease in performance if you have anything less than a 7200rpm harddrive. scuzzy drives or 10,000 rpms really enhance 3dsmax but they are not necessarily necessary

lol.. thanks for all the posts guys but im not going to make anything that great just a little hobbie i want to start its not going to be graphics standard to the incredibles (prob not even close). I just wanted to know if 3ds max was capable of making actual movies.... and it sounds like it can. And i am now going to put my system stats in my sig.

EDIT: I would also like to point out i downloaded a trial of maya and it worked perfectly (a little slow) wen i didnt have my radeon 9600 xt but wen i did have a 8 mb card now wat is wrong does anyone know why maya is freezing?

I just wanted to add that you can use 3ds max 6 for creating movies. That is why there are cameras and an animation bar in the software... I might add it is amazing at doing so, all you have to do is set up your scene, create a camera and position it in different areas on the time line. You can also move objects and other things. Then when you render the scene you set up how many frames you want to render and output it into a folder so it creates a picture file for each frame. When it is all done you transform the picture files into either an AVI or MOV file. You can use video editing software to add voice and other effects if you wish. Max is used for special graphics in many movies, it is really popular with space type scenes. Anyways, good luck getting the software, it is a blast learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom