Another Build Thread

So I put this together last night and...it didn't start up when I hit the power button. Suggestions on where to start trouble shooting?

So I put this together last night and...it didn't start up when I hit the power button. Suggestions on where to start trouble shooting?

Does it make beeping noises? Then your motherboard is getting power but something else isn't plugged in right.

When you hit the power button, nothing happens at all?
Then your motherboard/cpu isn't getting power.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes.. o.o;

I didn't get any lights, beeps, fans...

From what I am reading it seems to be an issue with the PSU. Unfortunately I won't be able to look at it for almost 12 hours to start checking.

I didn't get any lights, beeps, fans...

From what I am reading it seems to be an issue with the PSU. Unfortunately I won't be able to look at it for almost 12 hours to start checking.
Obviously, you made sure the power switch is connected to the right pins, right?

Obviously, you made sure the power switch is connected to the right pins, right?

If you mean coming from the PSU to the other components, then yes, I believe so. Unless I somehow can't hear or see the PSU fan didn't start spinning when I hit the power.

If you mean coming from the PSU to the other components, then yes, I believe so. Unless I somehow can't hear or see the PSU fan didn't start spinning when I hit the power.
No, what I mean is, you're pressing the power button on your case, right? If so, you should make sure that the case connectors for the power switch, reset switch, hdd led, etc. are plugged into the correct pins on your motherboards.

That's always the first thing I check when troubleshooting a newly built computer that doesn't respond when pushing the power button.

If you're just flipping the power switch on the PSU hoping for a response, my PSU honestly doesn't even make a hint that I've flipped it on. Only until the rig is turned on via the case power button does everything roar to life.

Last edited:
Easiest way is to use a screwdriver or needle nose pliers to short out the two pins on the motherboard where the power button is supposed to be connected because sometimes the power button can be bad.

If this doesn't work, unplug everything from your board, take it out of the case, plug in the 24pin and 4/8pin power cables to the motherboard, install only one stick of RAM in the first DIMM, and try powering it up. (No HDDs, no GPU, nothing)

@Yevrag35
Sorry. I understand you now. To be perfectly honest I do have a little uncertainty about whether these things are in the right place or not. ASRock > B85M-HDS I don't have a great picture to show why I am a little confused. And unfortunately I am not near the thing to take a better one.

@PPM
I have been using the new egg step by step build instructions and I was up to the step where they do what you are saying but I wasn't entirely clear which of the 9 pins in the cluster were for the power. I think that maybe this is still my problem and I have the wrong plug on the wrong pins. So I moved on and put the rest of it together and figured that the power switch could only really go in one place.

Last edited:
Quick install guide or the manual helps ;)

Capture300.png

It's the top right two. Doesn't matter how the end goes on them.

@Yevrag35
Sorry. I understand you now. To be perfectly honest I do have a little uncertainty about whether these things are in the right place or not. ASRock > B85M-HDS I don't have a great picture to show why I am a little confused. And unfortunately I am not near the thing to take a better one.
No problem, it's understandable. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the pins in the wrong place and not something worse.

Back
Top Bottom