Suggestions on what to buy? Best desktop opinions?

Goblinkeeper

Beta member
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer and need some help on what to get. I don't know too much about a computer internally, so that's where you guys come in. I want something that can run heavy graphic games without a problem and still be an all around strong computer. My budget is $1400, $1500 at most. Most people say Macs are the best out there, but I have trouble believing they're good with high tech games. I've never had a mac, only had Windows in the past. What are your opinions on macs and their os? Are they strong computers that can eat up anything you throw at it? Will it last for a decent amount of time? If not, what else would you suggest? Also, I'm probably not going to custom build a computer, even though it is cheaper.

All your answers/opinions are much appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
PCs and Macs are practically the same components except Macs cost more and the OS is limited to what you want to do. If you want to game, then you want a PC.

I highly suggest just building your own PC because for that kind of cash you can have a PC that will max out every game out there. That being said, do you need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard?

PCs and Macs are practically the same components except Macs cost more and the OS is limited to what you want to do. If you want to game, then you want a PC.

I highly suggest just building your own PC because for that kind of cash you can have a PC that will max out every game out there. That being said, do you need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard?

For that cash you can get a PC that will run the 2013 games on medium settings at 40-50 fps *Monitor price not included
Here is a PC that will be able to run all 2013 games on ultra settings 100-120 fps
MB- asus crosshair V formula-Z 990 FX
CPU- AMD FX 6300 hex core 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz turbo)
CPU Cooler- Akasa Venom Medusa Universal 8-Heatpipe
PSU- 1050 Watt Corsair HX1050
GPU- 6GB AMD Radeon HD7990 (AROUND 1000$!! equivalent of GTX Titan and GTX 690)
RAM- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz (2x8 GB)
HDD- 2TB-4TB

P.S. you can get the HD 7970 radeon for 600$ less if you dont want to spend 1k bucks for an overpriced card :)

You can check the prices on amazon.
But i built these settings on originpc.com and the price with the HD 7990 is 2948$

Last edited:
For that kind of cash he shouldn't be buying anything AMD chief. Your motherboard, PSU, and RAM are just overkill and you don't have an SSD in there. Tisk tisk, so let the man answer my question so I can link him some better parts.

For that kind of cash he shouldn't be buying anything AMD chief. Your motherboard, PSU, and RAM are just overkill and you don't have an SSD in there. Tisk tisk, so let the man answer my question so I can link him some better parts.

You are tellng me that i've linked him bad parts for a PC? For 1,5k $ you cant get a pc capable of running every 2013 game on max. If you want to tell that he needs a working pc just go with dual nvidia quadro 6000 or the tesla x20k and get a 16 core 5.2 GHz (OC 6.0) cpu 256 gb ram 50 TB HDD and a 55" monitor. All that for only 25,565$

I'm telling you that he can have a better PC for that kind of money.

For instance, he doesn't need anymore than a TX650 saving him almost 200 bucks on the PSU alone. Then, any PC anywhere near 1000 bucks is absolutely essential to have an SSD. Finally, for the money he better have a 4670k and Z87 board instead of a much slower FX CPU.

Not only that, he doesn't need all that extra crap. 2-4TB? Only people like me need that kind of space. A 120GB SSD and 500GB/1TB combo for data is perfectly fine for any normal or even enthusiast gamer. CPU cooler? The OP shows no interest in OCing. If he wants to, he can buy a better Hydro series cooler later. He also doesn't need 16GB of 1866 RAM, when anything past 1600 is moot, especially on AMD IMCs.
Just like that motherboard. Exceptionally over priced for a non-extreme enthusiast. He is better off with a cheaper motherboard that isn't geared for 100% OCing.

Then finally, a 7990? That' is most of his budget right there. The parts you have listed off go well above his budget. When I get a reply from the OP, I will piece together a more appropriate non-over the top PC.

I'm telling you that he can have a better PC for that kind of money.

For instance, he doesn't need anymore than a TX650 saving him almost 200 bucks on the PSU alone. Then, any PC anywhere near 1000 bucks is absolutely essential to have an SSD. Finally, for the money he better have a 4670k and Z87 board instead of a much slower FX CPU.

Not only that, he doesn't need all that extra crap. 2-4TB? Only people like me need that kind of space. A 120GB SSD and 500GB/1TB combo for data is perfectly fine for any normal or even enthusiast gamer. CPU cooler? The OP shows no interest in OCing. If he wants to, he can buy a better Hydro series cooler later. He also doesn't need 16GB of 1866 RAM, when anything past 1600 is moot, especially on AMD IMCs.
Just like that motherboard. Exceptionally over priced for a non-extreme enthusiast. He is better off with a cheaper motherboard that isn't geared for 100% OCing.

Then finally, a 7990? That' is most of his budget right there. The parts you have listed off go well above his budget. When I get a reply from the OP, I will piece together a more appropriate non-over the top PC.

Yep you can. For his budget max 4core and 8 ram aswell only a gt550. Those are the requirements on medium for BF3. I wasnt taking in consideration the z87 power max or the z87 gd5 gaming since i wasnt talking about the MSI products

I built a PC for the same price, but the gpu is a radeon hd 7970, the processor is a 8 core amd optetron 6320, the PSU is a corsair 1050 W, the MB is a msi z87 gd65 gaming and only 500 GB HDD
Slower GPU, an overkill PSU, a server CPU that is much slower, and a motherboard that doesn't support it. :sleep:

Back
Top Bottom