Is my CPU despite integrated GPU?

DeuceDevious

Beta member
I have an HP Pavilion g6-1c54wm, the specs of which can be found here.

I plan to add a second 4GB DDR3 ram chip in my empty socket, increasing my RAM from 4 to 8 (its maximum), and while I'm at it, I want to upgrade my CPU and GPU as well. My current CPU is an Intel Pentium B950 @2.1ghz, and the GPU is an Intel HD Graphics.

Upon further research, I found out that my weak Intel HD Graphics chip is integrated into my CPU. Does this render them both non-upgradable, or are there ways to upgrade? I mean, are there more powerful CPUs with integrated GPUs that are compatible with my laptop? Is there a way to remove my integrated C/GPU and upgrade them seperately? Does my PC even HAVE a separate socket for a GPU?

An answer to any of the above questions will help me greatly. I hope to learn all i can from whomever i can so i can be more self-sufficient in the future, but everyone has to start somewhere. I apologize in advance for that...

In all honesty, no point in trying as all Intel IGP is weak.

Yes the IGP is built into the CPU, no you don't have a dedicated graphics solution.

If you are trying to upgrade your graphics to game then I'm afraid to say that there isn't a definite way to get any real improvement.

In all honesty, no point in trying as all Intel IGP is weak.

Yes the IGP is built into the CPU, no you don't have a dedicated graphics solution.

If you are trying to upgrade your graphics to game then I'm afraid to say that there isn't a definite way to get any real improvement.

Damn so even if i went from my Intel Pentium B950 to an i7-2620M which differs by 1.3ghz, and has an Intel HD 3000 (which is garbage, i know, but its better than Intel HD) instead of the base Intel HD, it wouldst make a difference?

I really only play MMOs like Tera, Warframe, Vindictus and modifiable games like Skyrim, SR3 and Just Cause 2 and those games run on mid to high settings with no issues.

Im not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to extend its usefulness until about January, when i can actually spring for a decent rig. My rent, tuition and car will command most of my income until at least October so i need to get a lil bit more longevity out of this rig.

Damn so even if i went from my Intel Pentium B950 to an i7-2620M which differs by 1.3ghz, and has an Intel HD 3000 (which is garbage, i know, but its better than Intel HD) instead of the base Intel HD, it wouldst make a difference?

I really only play MMOs like Tera, Warframe, Vindictus and modifiable games like Skyrim, SR3 and Just Cause 2 and those games run on mid to high settings with no issues.

Im not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to extend its usefulness until about January, when i can actually spring for a decent rig. My rent, tuition and car will command most of my income until at least October so i need to get a lil bit more longevity out of this rig.
I call BS. A 9500GT which is better than a standard Intel HD solution barely plays vanilla Skyrim on low. Either way, the difference would not be substantial enough to really warrant the cost. Buying a bare mobile i7 would be the equivalent of say buying a midrange graphics card for a PC but all you're doing is upgrading the CPU greatly, while barely upgrading the IGP.

Another thing you have to consider is support from the laptop itself. The bios and board both have to support whatever you are trying to put in there regardless of performance enhancements.

I call BS. A 9500GT which is better than a standard Intel HD solution barely plays vanilla Skyrim on low. Either way, the difference would not be substantial enough to really warrant the cost. Buying a bare mobile i7 would be the equivalent of say buying a midrange graphics card for a PC but all you're doing is upgrading the CPU greatly, while barely upgrading the IGP.

Another thing you have to consider is support from the laptop itself. The bios and board both have to support whatever you are trying to put in there regardless of performance enhancements.

you can call BS all you want man. I can run Skyrim and the others mentioned on Mid to high, and ALL my MMOs run on high.

But i thank you for the latter half. that comparison on the grapical power puts things into perspective. doing so will help in one category but not much in the other... got it.

Maybe at 800x600, but otherwise no. I have 2 Intel HDs in the house right now with i3s. There is absolutely no way they play Skyrim native res (720p) at medium to high. Each also have a stripped version of Windows 7 to reduce RAM footprint, an SSD, and 8GB of 1600MHz RAM.

It's easily shown in a proper review too.
Intel HD Graphics 3000: Starcraft II | bit-tech.net

The i5 has standard Intel HD and can barely get off 17fps at 720p medium settings on Starcraft 2 (a visually worse game). That's with a better CPU too. The 3000 is double the performance, but also with a much faster desktop CPU behind it.

Back
Top Bottom