Laptop screen doesn't always turn on (HP dv7)

Thanks for the link. I've done some more reading and shopping.

Lots of replacement instructions comment how fragile the screen is. My monster cat (huge) often walks on my closed laptop, and I set books on it. This problem happened suddenly - no fading, discoloration, blinking, etc., but it did occasionally come on still. Is it very likely that the weight of the cat or books would damage the screen right through the case? The case does flex a bit when I push it with my hand.

I just bought this parts laptop on eBay:

Parts Laptop DV7 1133CL FS131UAR ABA LCD HP DV7 Keyboard 17" Hinge Web Cam Touch | eBay

Mine has many issues: bad lcd backlight, loose USB & power jacks, peeling paint, chipping keyboard, other cosmetic damage. It has a good motherboard, optical drive, hdd, ram, etc. And replacing just the backlight was going to cost just as much, so I'm thinking that rather than put the "new" backlight, etc. into my old machine, it's better pull the good hardware (motherboard, optical drive, ram) from my ugly laptop to install in the "new one." That would actually be easier and safer than messing with the display, right? Plus, I'd have good USB plugs, power plug, and a pretty case once again.

Anything I'm overlooking or any problems you guys see in my plan? The two laptops are identical.

Unless you can get windows 7 or windows 8 to run on it, because M$ is not going to support XP next April, it's not worth much to salvage. You would need drivers, probably a 2.0ghz/dual core processor, and 4 gb's memory to properly run Windows7/8

I do not foresee any issues that you might have by switching out the motherboards, just be sure to ground yourself well. Take careful note on where you remove those screws...HP's are a massive PIA to pull apart, they do have several different sizes just on the bottom cover. I usually use small dixie cups, label them and store the separate screw sets so I'll know where to put everything when I re-asemble it
I also use a plastic 1" putty knife to pop the halves apart, I think they make a tool for that but I can't recall what it is

Last edited:
It's only running Vista (hate it), but it has a 2.2 ghz dual core processor and 4 gb RAM (expandable to 8), so I'm okay there. Would love to upgrade to Windows 7 once everything else is in order again. Laptop has been a real lemon.

Thank you for the insight and pointers.

I usually use small dixie cups, label them and store the separate screw sets so I'll know where to put everything when I re-asemble it
I also use a plastic 1" putty knife to pop the halves apart, I think they make a tool for that but I can't recall what it is

I like to use ice cube trays.

As for the tool to pop the halves apart, it's just called a plastic pry tool. Don't always need 'em though; you can usually split the halves by hand as long as you have all the screws out.

Ice cube tray's are a good idea. It's just that I had the mini dixie cups on hand at the time.
I've always feared cracking the plastic at the wrong place and screwing up a laptop, I feel like I have some control using the putty knife....hopefully.

Cracking (or bending) the plastic is a real issue, I know. When HP replaced the camera under warranty, they warped the bezel around the screen just enough to make it not fit snugly and cast a shadow over the camera lens. And later, when I had it apart for a repair, I tweaked the plastic trim/edge just enough to prevent it from lying flush with the main portion of the case. It later snagged on something, bent, and broke.

Your caution is warranted. I hope to complete this little fix without bending, warping, breaking, or losing anything. This is an ridiculously fragile laptop.

Back
Top Bottom