My mother's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrap the 3 GB memory. I run an animation/photo editing/video editing machine on a Pentium 4 520 with 512 MB DDR2-533. Mine runs great. Today's applications do not need more than 512 MB memory, even Doom 3 doesn't need more than that. You are getting your mother a very crappy graphics card. You should get her a Radeon X800XT PE, it is the best card on the market. Your choices will definately make your mother have a pc that will not satisfy her needs and plus it has just way too much unnecessary stuff.

Megadeth2, why would she need a radeon x800pe in her computer if she does not play games? It would make sense to invest the money into what she needs at the moment, and worry about the unnecessary compenents later. Video and photo editing doesn't require any power in a graphics card, it would even work good on a 1MB PCI card. The card old school wants to ger his mother is more than enough for most games out now, and will still even be able to handle the top new games at a playable rate

YES....Me and Nubius were having a discussion about this. People always suggest Athlon 64s and 6800s or X800s to people that DO NOT GAME!! That is plain retarted in my opinion, and the epitome of stupidity. Yes, I would suggest a 6800 or X800 for a hard core gamer, but NOT THIS WOMAN! Stop suggesting unncecissary hardware, please! Excuse me, but I had to get that out.

I wouldn't necessarily say a celeron 1.5, but at least a platform that is going to be upgradable in the future. I think s939 is the way to go, as the boards and lower end processors (3000 and 3200) are coming down in price rapidly, and a couple of years from now if an upgrade is needed, a new dual core CPU and faster video card can be added, versus buying a whole new mobo, cpu, ram, etc. AMDs are very cheap right now, perform extremely well, and will be upgradable. Intel's s775 may look alright to some, but they are much more expensive, and Intel currently doesn't know what direction they are going with their CPUs as their new core for this socket is failing miserably.

But video card wise, getting an X800 or 6800 would be plain dumb

i'd still go for a Leadtek 5900XT card. pretty cheap, great performance, but only if you can afford it. it's only like $40 more than the one you spec'd, but i think it would be worth it.

i'd get a p4 3.4...oc it to 3.7....Abit AG8 mobo...A8 if you want to run 533memory.. 2gigs ddr400 or 533, 256mb graphics card...128bit should be sufficient. keep the current HD's.

for the video editing...you should really look at getting into a p4 with Hyper Threading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom