Sleep vs Shutdown???

mishimason

Solid State Member
I just bought a new computer.....HP Evny with 10 Gigs of RAM, 3.8 Ghtz AMD 6 core processor, and windows 8 installed......I want to treat my computer to last as long as possible, so I want to know whats best for it right from the start.....my question, which is better for a computer in the long run.....

1) Shut Down at Night
2) Put Into Sleep Mode

Out of these options, what is the best???

Honestly it doesn't matter if you leave your computer run 24/7 or shut it down every night.

Only matters in the sense of: your time, and electricity bill.

As long as the components aren't overheating they're fine.

I call bollocks on Carnagex.

All electronic devices wear down with use.
The rate at which the silicon diminishes is very very slow when not overvolted, of course speaking about chips themselves. HDD and PC components can easily last 10+ years but people upgrade their components rapidly due to the increasing pace of which technology outdates itself. So in all fairness, he is correct. I have electronics from the 60s that are still working due to simply taking care of them and that is far longer than most people use their PC components. As was said, if they aren't overheating, they will be fine for their "lifetime" of use.
haha, so which should I use? sleep or shutdown???
Doesn't matter honestly. If you have an SSD then sleep mode shaves maybe 5 seconds off that time it takes to get to the desktop.

Mine stays on most of the time, sometimes 4-5 days at a time. I let it enter sleep mode after a certain amount of inactivity (which is mostly during the night).

But I suggest cleaning it out every once in a while. Never hurts to make sure dust doesn't collect if your trying to make sure your pc lasts.

Dust is an issue in the current room I have my PC (believe it may be caused by my dog shedding excessively, sleeps in the same room) so I clean mine out every 3-5 weeks.

I have been plagued with dusty places everywhere I go but I only give my PC a good cleaning about twice a year. I clean my rad out every 2 months though.

I have been plagued with dusty places everywhere I go but I only give my PC a good cleaning about twice a year. I clean my rad out every 2 months though.

I doubt I am as thorough as you guys. I don't take out the GPU, but take out the whole case and anything that is extra to reach every crevice and make sure I airdust the heatsink for the CPU.

Glad I ain't the only one with dust issues, just paranoid that one day it will get clogged up one one of the hottest days during the summer. Doesn't help that the room its in also is the hottest in the room =/

Ah well, least I got into the habit of airing it out ^_^

Back
Top Bottom