CD ROM door opens randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmcnult

Beta member
Windows 98se machine cd rom door opens and closes properly, but sometimes opens unexpectedly, and then closes when re-booting.

Also, machine no longer shuts down properly--it always re-starts and will not shut off except by hitting the power switch. Then it does not exit Windows.

These symptoms follow an infection of CWSaboutblank trojan.
Malware has been successfully removed.

You should probably search the site before asking something like that. But generally it is spyware/anti-virus related. Look into that.

Cheers!

update your os to the max, windowsupdate.microsoft.com
run online av scan - housecall.trendmicro.com

if that comes up clean, i'd reinstall over my current installation. this will keep all your current data/registry intact but overwrite the core files. Remember to update the os afterwards.

BTW, win98 always automatically closes the cdrom door at shutdown and also at the startup splash screen

Well I can explain why your drive closes automatically while booting. The same thing happens with my computer. If you have the door open, it will close when you boot the computer. As far the opening is concerned, it may be because of a virus that is messing with your computer. I'm not sure, but this might just be the answer to your problem. Run a virus scan and quarantine/delete any viruses you find and report back to us if the problem persists.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom