ASUS Astriker Extreme - failure to power up.

Thelps

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I'm running a system based on an ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard. Recently, the computer will not power up (no response when the case power button is pressed) and when the PSU is switched on the green LED on the motherboard blinks on and off, as well as the LEDs on the motherboard power button, CMOS button and mobo reset button.

I have tried attaching multiple PSUs but this doesn't correct the issue, so PSU failure has been ruled out.

I have searched around for users experiencing this issue but only PSU burnout has been suggested.

Is anyone familiar with these motherboards and what the blinking LED/buttons indicate?

Failing an answer I'll perform the last resort and completely
deconstruct and reassemble the system, although I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

Advice much appreciated.

Hi all,
I'm running a system based on an ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard. Recently, the computer will not power up (no response when the case power button is pressed) and when the PSU is switched on the green LED on the motherboard blinks on and off, as well as the LEDs on the motherboard power button, CMOS button and mobo reset button.

I have tried attaching multiple PSUs but this doesn't correct the issue, so PSU failure has been ruled out.

I have searched around for users experiencing this issue but only PSU burnout has been suggested.

Is anyone familiar with these motherboards and what the blinking LED/buttons indicate?

Failing an answer I'll perform the last resort and completely
deconstruct and reassemble the system, although I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

Advice much appreciated.

A few things before we begin digging into the problem.

What type of ram do you have ?

What type of psu do you have ?

What type of cpu are you using ?

What vga card are you using if any ?

When did your pc stop working and was there any errors that may have popped up briefly over time ?

If you can get those answered for me we'll see whats going on.

The tech's all fully compatible. Machine's been running fine for almost 7 years now.

Why would the green LED, CMOS button, Mobo Reset button and Mobo power button all be blinking repeatedly?

I've managed to rule out ancillary component failure (removed all components except the HD and 1 stick of RAM).

The motherboard's green LED (located by the PCI-E slots) blinks about once a second, as do the LEDs on the motherboard's built-in power, reset and CMOS reset buttons.

Assuming this isn't caused by hardware-destroying hairline fractures or static damage, could it be the mobo battery (this board is over 6 years old) or an error with the BIOS chip?

According to the manual of this board that you posted a link to in your first post, it's supposed to have an LED Poster display on the back at the I/O shield. Does this LED Poster show any post error codes?

bummer....

Have you tried to remove the cmos battery and re-set the bios? Always be sure to remove the power cord from the wall and push the power button for several seconds to expend any extra voltage on the board before to re-set the bios. Re-setting the bios to it's default may or may not help, but it's worth a shot

Sadly the board POST display isn't illuminating.

Try this for me, please remove your ram sticks and place one ram stick into slot 2 and slot 4.
Try to get it to jump start, if it doesn't please look into getting lower voltage ram at the moment.
CORSAIR 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB667D2 - Newegg.com

We will try to get it to post back up again.
I have a feeling it may not come back after reading some other user end complaints about the board recently.

you might want to remove the board from the case, Carefully inspect this board for any visible damage. Take everything off the board except one stick of memory, cpu/heatsink/fan, and if the board has on board video use that, if not then use a known good video card. Place the board on a non-conductive surface and connect the monitor, kb, mouse and the power supply Do not forget the 4/8 pin cpu power connection too. See if it will post

The last Asus board I had, For some unknown reason the bios got corrupted. The only fix was to get another bios chip and tried that. It did fix my board but to this day I have no idea what happened to corrupt it in the first place. Back then a new pre-programed bios chip was only $12. (circa 2005) I think they are around $20. now days

Last edited:
@ MMike:

I've tried the low-voltage RAM fix, but no joy, sadly.

I'll be attempting a CMOS reset via battery removal later today. If that doesn't work I'll try to swap the BIOS chip.

Thanks for all advice provided so far. I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom