OEM System

texas

Solid State Member
This is a slight continuation of my previous thread. --Thanks to PP MGuire for all the help!--

If you buy an OEM version of an operating system, how do you go about installing it on a new hard drive?

Reading would indicate that I have to obtain a pre-installation kit but, so far, I can't tell if that's really necessary.

Can anyone tell me a little more about the OEM versions of operating systems? Some advantages/disadvantages, installation instructions, etc....?

Your time and replies are greatly appreciated!

This is a slight continuation of my previous thread. --Thanks to PP MGuire for all the help!--

If you buy an OEM version of an operating system, how do you go about installing it on a new hard drive?

Reading would indicate that I have to obtain a pre-installation kit but, so far, I can't tell if that's really necessary.

Can anyone tell me a little more about the OEM versions of operating systems? Some advantages/disadvantages, installation instructions, etc....?

Your time and replies are greatly appreciated!

An OEM copy is just a disc and a serial. You install it like you would any other version of Windows. Pop the disc in, enter the serial that's on the sticker.

As for OEM vs Retail:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/

From what I found on the internet

"- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system"

From User: Carey Fisch on the Windows Support Page.

From what I found on the internet

"- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system"

From User: Carey Fisch on the Windows Support Page.

That is as I understand it but, I'm just trying to be cautious so, I don't break the seal and install this system to find out that, I should've done "X" first. Thanks so much, for taking the time to read and reply. I really like your user picture, there.

If it's a laptop or something similar that comes with OEM OS (like most manfuctured hardware) your windows oem will be covered under whatever warranty you have for that device.

OEM disks still allow you to make a recovery disk, though. So Even if your mobo imploded into a neutron star, you'd still be able to re-install.

Back
Top Bottom