HP overheating

Alexffiala

Baseband Member
I have an HP Pavillion dv6 that has had consistent over heating problems since I first bought it a few years ago.

From what I've read, puts way to much power into their CPUs upon installation and that's what causes the overheating (+ the horrible cooling most laptops use).

The weird thing is this:

To combat the overheating problem, within windows 7 I lowered the cpu power to about 75% and then 65% and then all the way down to 35%. On each of these the computer still got extremely hot.

I later decided to install Mint 14 and wanted to see if a smaller OS would ease the load. It still over heats. I have that laptop now clocked at less than half its output and it still gets super hot. It's clocked now at about .80ghz out of 2.9Ghz.

Also, I have cleaned out the computer and reset the heatsink and applied new thermal paste 3 times already.

I'm just curious if any of you might know why this demon machine runs so warm?

The dv6 line is famous for having issues. I believe it's geared more toward the GPU than the CPU.

hmmm ive had a Hp a while back and it overheated also and after checking i noticed 1 of the cpu fan mounts was cracked stopping the fan/heatsink combo getting a tight fit onto the cpu.
so my solution was to buy some super glue and glue the mount back together stick it back ontop of the cpu and bingo never overheated again lasted me over 2 years that fix lol

Back
Top Bottom