How DDR3 Ram Works

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Hi!
I'd like to receive some assistance in regards to memory and how it works. I currently have a setup of a triple channel memory of 12gb of RAM using the Corsair's 4GBs (times three).

I had originally been able to work up to 18 gb of ram (6 sticks | 3 x 2GB | 3 x 4GB). The direct cause of this 18gb not working is when the desktop started shifting during a plane flight has caused a few cables to be unplugged but - from the looks of it - no hardware seems to have any permanent damage.

The problem is that whenever I plug in all six sticks only 6gb is recognized.

It's in this order:

2GB STICK
4GB CORSAIR
2GB STICK
4GB CORSAIR
2GB STICK
4GB CORSAIR

I was wondering if there was any settings I should do in the BIOS?

For example, if I remove the ORANGE sticks, the 12GB is recognized.

This is

-empty-
4GB CORSAIR
-empty-
4GB CORSAIR
-empty-
4GB CORSAIR
-empty-

Kindly let me know how I should proceed. Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you tried just using the 2gb sticks?

Also, is the bios not recognizing the sticks or is it your os?

Im debating asking why you were on an airplane with a desktop too lol

Have you tried just using the 2gb sticks?

Also, is the bios not recognizing the sticks or is it your os?

Im debating asking why you were on an airplane with a desktop too lol

I did not!

Both the BIOS and the OS cannot recognize the sticks given that all six sticks are plugged in totaling to 6gb when it should be 18gb. If I unplug the three 2GB sticks, it shows up as 12GB (enabling the 3x4GB sticks).

It was cheaper :D.

Kindly let me know the relation of the 2GB sticks isolated. Will that prove that the 2GB sticks are working 100% and then we can target the motherboard as the problem? What am I exactly trying to prove?

Kindly let me know the relation of the 2GB sticks isolated. Will that prove that the 2GB sticks are working 100% and then we can target the motherboard as the problem? What am I exactly trying to prove?

Yeah it should, in my tired state i cant imagine what else would be going wrong beside the motherboard being messed up. oh have you tried swapping the slots all the sticks were in?

Edit: it could rule out the 2gb sticks being bad, though i dont know why they would be selectively targeted.

And i decided, id like to know, why did you have a desktop on an airplane? lol you wouldnt believe my curiosity, is this some relatively common occurrence im not aware of? lol

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the late reply! Life is hectic for a Computer Information Systems major!

Umm... isn't desktop usually transferred over the air? Is there a typical procedure? haha

If you move, UPS that stuff in a heavily packed box (extra bubble wrap and packing peanuts). I would never send my PC in the air because those guys handle your stuff worse than the ground crew.

Make sure the 2GB sticks work by themselves and test each stick individually to make sure none of the sticks are bad. Also, try swapping the sets around to make the 4GB set first. Instead of 2/4/2/4/2/4 do it the other way around. If the sticks aren't 100% matching (speed and timings) go in and set them manually and set the volts manually.

DId you have an aftermarket heatsink/tower on when you shipped your PC through the air?

Hey sorry for the late reply! Life is hectic for a Computer Information Systems major!

Umm... isn't desktop usually transferred over the air? Is there a typical procedure? haha

See i was not awake when posting... Silly me thought your computer was on during the flight 0.o

Back
Top Bottom