What's your thoughts on my proposed new build?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I already purchased or have in stock all the parts. I found a great deal on the new Haswell, so I leaped on it before thinking or consulting other people...

I have read so many conflicting reports about the power consumption differences between the 3770k and the 4770k. Several reputable websites give conflicting reports...[Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, Tweaktown, CPU world, etc.].

Who do I believe?

I hope I made the right choice in choosing the Haswell over the Ivy bridge!!

Purpose of the build: dedicated security rig [will run Blue Iris and 10-12 HD IP cams], running 24/7. It needs to be totally stable and reliable.

Here we go:

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case
Intel i7-4770k
ASRock Z87E-ITX
Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM case fans
Modified ARCTIC COOLING A7P-75000023 92mm CPU Cooler [shaved/milled 5/8" off the top]
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply
Intel 160GB SSD
Western Digital Red 3TB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So what do ya think? Is it ok?

Soar

Last edited:
Haswell has a higher TDP due to the IGP but the actual CPU consumption should be less than IB.

PPM,

What language are you speaking and what planet do you come from?

Hehehehehehe...

So sorry, but I have no clue what you just said!

If my interpreter got it right, you said I will save a little money using the Haswell vs. the Ivy Bridge.

And how do you like my build? Will it work?

Soar

The upgraded graphics on Haswell gives it a higher TDP but the CPU portion of the chips should consume less power than the Ivy Bridge components. The differences on a rig that is on 24/7 will not really be seen though.

Yea it's good. I thought that PSU was bad?

The upgraded graphics on Haswell gives it a higher TDP but the CPU portion of the chips should consume less power than the Ivy Bridge components. The differences on a rig that is on 24/7 will not really be seen though.

Yea it's good. I thought that PSU was bad?

Yup, PSU was terribly bad... [2.9 volts vs. 3.3] To make matters worse, PC Power and Cooling called me last week to inform me it runs perfect, and that I had no need to RMA it!

I told them it DOES NOT WORK. Had to go back and forth with them on the phone. Finally they said they would send me a refurbished unit. I became a little more assertive and insisted upon a brand new unit. Tech person said they would send me a new unit.

Now I have a question:

Why would this specific PSU not power my unit and cause such terrible results AND show a 2.9 volt reading, but when PC Power and Cooling receive my RMA, they tell me it works perfect? BTW, I am certain their test equipment is much better than mine!

What's up with that? This makes no logical sense at all!

Soar

PS I plan on using the NEW PC Power and Cooling 400 when it arrives...hopefully this week!

Part of the reason why I don't recommend anything OCZ ;)

PCP&C quality control has gone down considerately since the buyout, and I wouldn't doubt for a second they got it, put it on some **** machine, powered it up, said it worked, and called you back saying it was fine. Gigabyte did the same thing without doing any real tests on a 790FX motherboard I was reviewing in 2009. They were putting an Athlon X4 in it, booting it up, said it worked, then sent it back telling my review manager I didn't know what I was talking about. Took several ****ed off phone calls to fix the situation and a video showing exactly what was going on with my setup.

If you have the new unit I would test it too.

Part of the reason why I don't recommend anything OCZ ;)

PCP&C quality control has gone down considerately since the buyout, and I wouldn't doubt for a second they got it, put it on some **** machine, powered it up, said it worked, and called you back saying it was fine. Gigabyte did the same thing without doing any real tests on a 790FX motherboard I was reviewing in 2009. They were putting an Athlon X4 in it, booting it up, said it worked, then sent it back telling my review manager I didn't know what I was talking about. Took several ****ed off phone calls to fix the situation and a video showing exactly what was going on with my setup.

If you have the new unit I would test it too.

Oh crap! Now I am worried they might try to pull a fast eddie on me.

Well, I will test the voltages on it but that is all I can do...

Soar

PPM,

Received the new PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply and took your good advice to test it BEFORE I installed it.

Crap. I am ****ed off now. The first new unit they sent me showed 2.9 volts. This one is showing 2.7.

I will NEVER purchase an OCZ crap PSU again.

$10 each time to RMA, and they send me a PSU that is even worse than the last one!

Help me out here...

I must have this security rig up and running within 48 hours. The only other nice Modular PSU I have in stock right now is a Seasonic SS660XP Platinum.

Can I use it and still obtain good energy savings even though it is WAY more wattage than I need?

Soar

Soar

Like I said in the other thread, you only use as much as you are sucking for juice. Higher efficiency ratings come from less expelled heat. The Seasonic would be fine.

Like I said in the other thread, you only use as much as you are sucking for juice. Higher efficiency ratings come from less expelled heat. The Seasonic would be fine.

Yes, but I keep reading articles about a PSU having the best efficiency when running 40%-60% of its wattage rating. It appears mine will only be running 10%-20%.

Is there any truth to this?

Soar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom