Building a new PC - Help!

VRTX97

Solid State Member
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to join because I need help with my new build. I want to see if I've chosen the correct parts for my new computer.

Here's the list:

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
SSD: Kingston V300 120GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart M850W
Graphics Card: Asus NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

Thanks!

Moderation needs to happen before new posts will show up so a little patience is needed instead of making multiple posts or threads ok?

Anyways, what is the purpose of this PC? I would change up quite a bit.

Well here again, it all depends on the purpose of the PC.

Few things right off the bat though, is I would change the brands of several parts. The PSU, the SSD, and the motherboard I would change. Personally I would change the GPU over too because of what I put in the other thread, but some aren't bothered by that.

Next I wouldn't have bought the aftermarket cooler for a CPU that can't be OC'd at all.

Finally, would have went Haswell. For gaming, the 4670k, for actual productivity the 4770k. Here again on a personal level, would have gone with the 4670k anyways. I owned a 3960x and I'm not bothered by HT at all. Think it's pointless.

Edit: Saw your post after posting.
Definitely, change the CPU. You don't need a 3770k. Get a 4670k instead, and then I would change the motherboard to an ASRock Extreme 3 Z87. Next up, ditch the aftermarket cooling, as it isn't needed to shed some cash.
Change the SSD brand to something much better. Corsair, Samsung, Intel. My choice would be these in order, Corsair Neutron GTX, Corsair Force GT, Samsung 840pro, Intel 520.

I would also change the PSU to a Seasonic or a Corsair. You don't need 850w in power or anywhere close to it. A 650w would be just fine here so I would get the Seasonic X Gold 650w or Corsair HX650.

Sorry it took so long for the edit, TF went down I guess.

Last edited:
Woah, thanks!

Just a question, what if I live in a really hot area? Do you still recommend ditching the fan?

Well I presume you have AC right? Either way, shouldn't matter. Haswell runs cool and last month I was using the crappy stock fan that came with my first gen i5 here in Texas. Was over 95f and my ambient was around 80 because the apartment AC can't hang with the heat.

Back
Top Bottom