dell inspiron mini craptop

dontkickme2222

Solid State Member
it still runs it just gives me this memory message all the time i think it might of just burned out cause it has been on nonstop since christmas although i did try deleteing a temp file on skype the night before and i also left it on the computer chair instead on on the desk so it didnt get ainy air the vents on it were blocked and it was super hot since that day its been running like not as good i backed up all the data now im ready to format only problem is the sticker on the bottom with the windows key is all faded although it says windows 7 starter i have a working copy of windows 7 home prem oa so im thinking of loading my windows from a external 1tb hard drive i got at wallmart for 100 bucks booyeah

close programs to prevent information loss NO NEVER

it still runs it just gives me this memory message all the time i think it might of just burned out cause it has been on nonstop since christmas although i did try deleteing a temp file on skype the night before and i also left it on the computer chair instead on on the desk so it didnt get ainy air the vents on it were blocked and it was super hot since that day its been running like not as good i backed up all the data now im ready to format only problem is the sticker on the bottom with the windows key is all faded although it says windows 7 starter i have a working copy of windows 7 home prem oa so im thinking of loading my windows from a external 1tb hard drive i got at wallmart for 100 bucks booyeah

What is the model number of your dell inspiron mini ?
if their is a best buy near you take it to them and ask them to open it up and reapply some cpu grease and clean the fans.
Their rates differ from state to state, but here in ga it cost 35.00 for every half an hour it takes to do that.
It should take them less than 20 minutes to get that done while your in the store if they are not flooded with other customers.

Your starter key wont work for the Home Premium disc.

Personally I don't recommend windows 7 starter for anything, its way too limited....
I'm curious as to how you think the OP would be limited by Windows Starter on this machine and why you would recommend spending $$ on Pro. What specific features of Pro would the OP find useful on this machine?

I'm curious as to how you think the OP would be limited by Windows Starter on this machine and why you would recommend spending $$ on Pro. What specific features of Pro would the OP find useful on this machine?

Go use windows 7 starter for a month and see how much you can do withit on a day to day basis.
I've used it quite a few times and its not worth it, windows 7 pro will run fine on limited specs.
Example is 800mhz intel or amd cpu or higher 512mb it will run but will be slow.
1gb of ram if you don't have many programs that demand alot of memory while working.
Work/home wise 4gb of ram is good idea but thats just me.
Just try it out on your own and come to your conclusion. :|

My wife has had an Asus eeePC with Win 7 Starter on it for about 2 years now and we haven't encountered any limitations with it. Believe me that I would upgrade it in a heartbeat if it was needed.

Can you give any SPECIFIC limitations that you encountered?

The 2 main reasons to go with Pro are the need to login to a domain (doubt the OP needs this) and the ability to use XP Mode (netbooks are generally not well equipped to do this).

My wife has had an Asus eeePC with Win 7 Starter on it for about 2 years now and we haven't encountered any limitations with it. Believe me that I would upgrade it in a heartbeat if it was needed.

Can you give any SPECIFIC limitations that you encountered?

The 2 main reasons to go with Pro are the need to login to a domain (doubt the OP needs this) and the ability to use XP Mode (netbooks are generally not well equipped to do this).

Before I begin, xp mode aint worth ****. :/
If you know how to use program compatibility found in windows vista - windows 8 its easy to get "some" old programs or drivers to jump start.
I've used xp mode 3 times laughed and stopped using it.
To your main question have a look at this:
Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down abit and compare edition to editon.
Out of all 4 windows 7 os I mostly prefered professional.
Now pricewise, retail can be abit too much in certain stores or online shops.
If you know where to look for microsoft products that are abit cheaper, approved by microsoft and legal to sell.
You can walk away with a genuine product key for not very much.

Lastly speaking for the thread starter if he or she wants to keep starter edition I got no problem with that.
If they want something that has most features to boot from windows 7 pro would be a good one. :)

I didn't think you could give any specific examples of the limitations of Windows 7 Starter.

As far as XP Mode, why would you state that it "ain't worth ****. :/"? You used XP Mode a whole 3 times, huh? Can you name anything specific about XP Mode that caused you to come to the conclusion you did? You do realize that when you are talking about XP Mode that you are talking about a virtual machine running a fully-licensed version of XP Pro.

What specific features of Win 7 Pro do you use that make it the one you prefer over the other versions?

I didn't think you could give any specific examples of the limitations of Windows 7 Starter.

As far as XP Mode, why would you state that it "ain't worth ****. :/"? You used XP Mode a whole 3 times, huh? Can you name anything specific about XP Mode that caused you to come to the conclusion you did? You do realize that when you are talking about XP Mode that you are talking about a virtual machine running a fully-licensed version of XP Pro.

What specific features of Win 7 Pro do you use that make it the one you prefer over the other versions?

Everything in windows 7 pro I use off and on.
This is going abit offtopic and I don't like where this discussion is headed anyway.
Why dont we wait for dontkickme to reply back and continue to help him.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom