New WD Blue SATA hard drive install

tcujohnson

Beta member
All,

I have installed a new WD Blue SATA harddrive in a desktop. I turn it on and nothing. I mean nothing? I have checked connections, etc. Just nothing. What am I missing or could this be another problem? Please help. Thanks!

Chris

Hi,

Can you see the new disk in disk manager? If using windows 7 type disk man into the search bar in the start menu and an option called create and format disks should appear in the list.

Click on this and it should list all of your disks. You may need to format the disk which can be done from this tool also. Google will show you what to do.

If all connections are in correctly and still no dice take it back as Doa.

Click on this and it should list all of your disks. You may need to format the disk which can be done from this tool also. Google will show you what to do.
You'll need to initialize it first generally, then format it. In the disk management screen, if the disk looks to be formatted but still doesn't show up, you probably need to manually give it a drive letter.

Or is the hard drive spinning at all? Put your hand on the top of it, can you feel movement?

I can feel the hard drive vibrate. but there is nothing happening on the monitor it black. There is no OS loaded, so this a clean install. Does this help?

You'll need to initialize it first generally, then format it. In the disk management screen, if the disk looks to be formatted but still doesn't show up, you probably need to manually give it a drive letter.

Or is the hard drive spinning at all? Put your hand on the top of it, can you feel movement?

I can feel the hard drive vibrate. but there is nothing happening on the monitor it black. There is no OS loaded, so this a clean install. Does this help?
Still quite not understanding.

Have you or have you not already installed Windows somewhere, not necessarily on that hard drive? Are you trying to install Windows on this hard drive? What are you using to install Windows?

Still quite not understanding.

Have you or have you not already installed Windows somewhere, not necessarily on that hard drive? Are you trying to install Windows on this hard drive? What are you using to install Windows?

Okay. The previous drive crashed. I installed a new drive and the motherboard is not recognizing it. Computer is not prompting me for anything. I can feel the harddrive vibrating that is all. What you do mean what am I using to install windows? I plan on installing Vista.

I have attached a photo of the monitor after the harddrive has been installed and powered up. As you will see, there is nothing prompting or telling to do anything. Hope this gives some insight. Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom