Two Harddrives act as one? Can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector_anomaly

Solid State Member
Ok, looking into getting a second harddrive however i dont want to be bothered with putting data in drive Q, or what ever letter it would be. What I am asking is, is possible to set up the two drives so they would act as one drive,,,so when one gets full it stats using the other drive.
:)

With raid you can set up raid 0 to combine two drives into one larger drive with the sum of both drives. How ever I dont know if you can do this with out loosing the data on the drive.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
With raid you can set up raid 0 to combine two drives into one larger drive with the sum of both drives. How ever I dont know if you can do this with out loosing the data on the drive.

RAID0 will only give you the space of 1 drive.

XP Pro has a dynamic drive feature wich enables you to "combine" 2 seperate partitions.

yea what are you talking about major? expand. im sure you know how RAID 0 works, RAID 1 would be the space of one drive, but the same data put onto both drives so if one fails then you still have the other. (and semi-related- can a hd physicially become ruined because of a failed RAID0?)

It won't be physically ruined from a failed raid0, but you will lose all data I think. But if one of your hard disks physically fail you would be left with both a ruined drive and ruined data

hmm cause i have these two maxtor 160 sata drives, and had them in RAID 0 (only for a month or two did i have them) and then it failed and now one of my drives spins but does nothing else (does not recognize or anything). and im not sure if its the drive but the other one is really fussy and gets "unplugged".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom