Building a gaming system - Need help

x2duno

Beta member
Sorry for a first post being this. Didn't even post an introduction yet. But here it goes.

I'm thinking of starting to build my own system. Need some advice and help with it. It's been a while since i done anything with it. Outdated massively on what's new and what goes with what.

At the moment i got my eyes on:

GTX 670
Gigabyte Z77x UP4 TH
i7-3770k
Corsair 8GB 1600

What i need help with is the sound card (i honestly have no clue whether it goes according to the motherboard or do i just stick anything in it). Then there's the cooling/power supply problem which i need help with the most.

If you guys could as well suggest something better than what i'm looking at now that would be at the same level of performance but maybe at a lower price i would consider it. Altho, i'm not looking for cheap stuff. As i'm building something that would last a while.

Thanks in advance.

x2duno

Motherboards come nowadays with built in sound, so unless you have some fancy sound system you don't really need a sound card.
You should go for the GTX 770 instead of the 670. The GTX 770 is basically almost a GTX 680 but for the price of the GTX 670.
I'd also suggest going for a Haswell build while you can. Ivy Bridge is a " dead end " socket, which means i7 3770k is as far as you can go, while I believe Haswell will have a refresh on the same socket.
What is your max budget?

^^ Indeed. The GTX 770 is exactly a 680 for 670 price.

On that note, I too agree, Haswell. Get a 4670k, games don't use HT. I also suggest against getting Gigabyte and going with an ASRock Extreme 3 or 4 motherboard. Whatever fits in your budget.

For the cooling, the stock cooler that comes with your CPU package is plenty. There is no need to overclock any of these chips now, and when you do want or need to overclock later there will be better things out, or what's currently around will be cheaper.

For PSU, your rig won't consume more than 650w at the very max so take your pick. I recommend only these brands these days.

SeaSonic M12II 650 SS-650AM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply - Newegg.com
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - Newegg.com

The Seasonic is modular so I would pick that one myself, as both are based off the same Seasonic platform.

Another thing I highly suggest buying is an SSD. If you don't know much about them, my last long post goes into detail about them with a demonstration. Before making any decisions I suggest just reading the whole thing to catch you up.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Thanks Mguire. My budget is limited to the limits of sanity. A big thanks on all the parts that you suggested. I'm completely outdated at this moment so i really appreciate it.

Edit: The AsRock Exteme 4 has a 1155 socket and the 4670 is a 1150 socket. Will it still be compatible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom