~$500 Budget Gaming Build - Need Suggestions

Yerfdog

In Runtime
My birthday is coming up fairly soon, and my brother has been asking about if I still want to get a gaming PC. I want it to be powerful enough that it will be my main gaming platform for a while. As of now, I think being able to play Planetside 2 at a good frame rate would be a good goal (as that is one of the games that has really caught my attention) (high settings and such don't matter that much to me). These benchmarks make it look like the Radeon HD 7770 would be a good and relatively cheap card, seeing as it can run so many games on higher settings and a resolution higher than my monitor (1680x1050) at a good frame rate.

I was thinking this build would work well, but I don't know for sure. Criticism and suggestions would be appreciated greatly. (The total is over $500 because it includes the operating system, the $500 in the title is for the build alone, not the operating system, mouse, keyboard, etc.)

Last edited:
If you want it to last a while I say try and push for 8GB of RAM, even if it's 1333. Next gen consoles are going to push the envelope on RAM usage. 4GB can be used just fine for gaming right now but if you don't plan on upgrading anything in the next year or so then getting 8GB would be much better. Another thing to consider is DDR3 prices will only continue to slowly rise over the year.

I was thinking this build would work well, but I don't know for sure. Criticism and suggestions would be appreciated greatly. (The total is over $500 because it includes the operating system, the $500 in the title is for the build alone, not the operating system, mouse, keyboard, etc.)

That build is pretty close to my own in many ways. My 965 CPU handles BF3 well enough, $3 more than that 955 on NewEgg:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX - Newegg.com

The 7770 looks to be about the same performance-wise as my 560Ti, and at $110 it is a sweet deal (I gave $300 for my card new but went with the 2GB model).

Mguire is right about the RAM. Nab 8GB if you can.

You could get a PS4. 399$ and it will have better graphics than that build by far and you save money.

Back
Top Bottom