Building a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
Alright, I'm planning to build a server.

It's mainly going to be hosting Counter-Strike 1.6 games.
It will be running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round.
It will most likely be running Linux of some kind or another, although I may create a dual boot system with some version of Windows.

However, it will have to be running in my garage, which at this time of year experiences sub-zero temperatures. Can computers survive at these temperatures or will water vapour condense and damage the circuitry or something? If this is the case then I will have to consider heating it, as it will probably be in some kind of cupboard. A de-humidifier is not an option. However, are there other options?

I'm guessing for my needs I will require maybe a fast processor and lots of RAM, but it will not be needing decent graphics and sound cards as it will be shut away in a cupboard during it's life. Also maybe a single DVD-ROM drive and a floppy drive. It will definitely have a network card, that must be compatible and supported by Linux.

What I'm asking for is someone to reccomend me a processor and motherboard, as I am not familiar with what is best for servers, and I know nothing about makes and models of motherboards whatsoever. Also anything else anyone can reccomend.

My budget is not massive, maybe around £500-£600 (Pounds - I live in the UK).

I also already own all the required peripherals.

Thanks in advance.

In that price range I am guessing you dont want a dual processor? I guess I would go with an AMD machine, at least a 3200, maybe 2gb or ram a raptor hd. I dont know a whole lot about servers but that should help. About the moister in your garage it shouldnt be a problem. If you keep it in a cabinate you might want some circulation in there, for fresh air, otherwise the air will become very warm.

okay, now i know this is gonna catch some stupidity from the intel crowd, but here's my opinion...

go Athlon MP for a fast reliable and powerful server at a very nice cost...

processors, if you dont mind modding the processors to make them work in an MP board, then you can save 60$ USD, on the 2 processors
athlon xp 2800+

Motherboard,
Tiger AMD-760 MPX mobo

RAM(if you need it)-
corsair 1 gig dual channel memory

graphics,
old geforce mx4000

this should all work absolutely fine and come in WAY under your price.

Yeah thanks for the info. However, I only want a single processor, not multi.

Also I need stuff that will all be compatible with each other and with Linux.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom