wireless N router...cheap but fast?????

I just got a new computer as well, and the speed of my internet has seemed to go down after setting up the new computer....I don't know what is causing the delay in the transfer rate

I meant speed wise. What speed package are you paying for, and what are you getting on speedtest.net?

That could be due to bloatware on the PC if it's a pre-built.

I would actually be surprised if his Envy didn't already have a wireless N card...
Getting a wireless N router will help with range, but like PP said, not with really with the actually speed you're getting at the moment.

Unless however, you have multiple devices trying to access your router wirelessly at the same time, then you may want to consider getting a router that can handle multiple devices. It still won't increase your maximum speed, but on the other hand, it won't hinder as well.

I would actually be surprised if his Envy didn't already have a wireless N card...
Getting a wireless N router will help with range, but like PP said, not with really with the actually speed you're getting at the moment.

Unless however, you have multiple devices trying to access your router wirelessly at the same time, then you may want to consider getting a router that can handle multiple devices. It still won't increase your maximum speed, but on the other hand, it won't hinder as well.
You missed one very important thing though, he's on ethernet. Wireless speeds don't affect him.

from the speedtest.net site, here is the info I got...

Ping = 21 ms (I have no idea what this means)
Download = 1.56 MBPS
Upload = .37 MBPS

When downloading a file, I usually get about 150 KBPS transfer rate. So if I am suppose to be at 1.56 MBPS, then why am I actually only DLing at 1/10 that supposed rate???

and what is bloatware? What programs should I look to delete, or should I even delete them??? just want to make my comp faster.....

I am a gamer, and play a lot of League of Legends ATM.....my ping before my new comp was around 97ish......but with the new comp, I am floating around 200ish on average..........a noticeable difference in lag......

You have to understand the difference between bit and byte. Capital MB = megabyte, Mb means Megabit.

A 1.5Mb (megabit) DSL connection will only have a max theoretical download speed of 192KB/s (kilobyte). So, average of 150KB/s = right on the money for your connection speed.

Bloatware would be any extra nonsense programs running in the background or any extra software the PC may have come with. That includes anti-virus, spyware programs, and pre-bundled software. All of this = bloatware and can bog your machine down.

Your ping could be the direct consequence of having any extra software on your machine that may access the internet while you're gaming. Also, server location also plays in what your ping is. Your speedtest result comes from the closest speedtest server to you, and your LoL server could be much further resulting in a worse ping.

Ping = the amount of time it takes to communicate with your PC and the server you are communicating with and the result is in milliseconds.

is there a way to find any bloatware on my comp, because I don't know what would be siphoning from my transfer rate.....maybe a site that can scan processes or something?

You have to go to add/remove programs and start taking out things that may have come pre-installed with the PC without removing anything important like drivers. Any background tasks or programs that are running like anti-virus and other such programs can also use bandwidth and PC resources. You can fix this by closing out anything that is running before a gaming session.

Back
Top Bottom