wireless N router...cheap but fast?????

mishimason

Solid State Member
I have a VERY old linksys router (wireless G) and am looking to upgrade to a wireless N router.....I am currently using a HP Envy with...

-windows 8
-3.8 gigahertz AMD processor
-10 gigs of ram DDR3

am looking for something that is under 60$, wireless N and that is plug and play...no installation necessary.....what are my options, since I know very little about wireless routers....what brands should I be looking at?

what is an adapter and how much would one cost???? is that what goes from the router to the DSL modem????

BTW, I am still using old school DSL.....don know if that changes anything

An adapter is what connects your PC to your router. If you are currently running G hardware then upgrading the router won't give you full N connectivity. You need a wireless N adapter on your PC as well as an N router to get the better speeds.

In other words a wireless card or USB wireless dongle. I always recommend cards over USB any day though.

If you are hooked up via an ethernet cable then the wireless portion of your router makes no difference to wired connectivity.

ya, the router is right next to my PC, so I am linked with the Ethernet cable....so what uR saying is that if I get a wireless N router, and since I am connecting directly through ethernet, I do not need an adapter???

in buying a wireless N router, is there something that I should be looking for, saw that the prices can range from 30 to over 100$, so what is the difference between these price ranges???

If you're connected via ethernet then buying a new router with better wireless capabilities won't do anything for you.

What the router can do, how in depth the firmware is, speeds.

so if I want to increase my internet speed, and its not the router that will make it faster, then is it the modem?

Point being, is there a way to make my internet faster without having to switch services.....my parents do not want to leave the provider that they have been using for years.....so I am stuck with DSL ATM....

No your modem or router won't affect your speeds I'm afraid. DSL speeds are highly dependent on how far you are from the switch and HQ. The only way you can get faster speeds is if you switch to cable or fiber.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current service?

Back
Top Bottom