Which PSU would be more efficient?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Ok,

I have been reading a lot about various efficiency ratings and I have a question before I re-assemble a new security rig. First the juicy details:

I believe my security system/rig will draw approximately 90-150 watts 24/7 every day of the year.

I keep reading data that indicates 50% load is the ideal load for efficiency. Is this true? If it is, then maybe I need to look for an even lower rated PSU...

I have a 400 Watt Bronze rated PSU [my system would draw approx. 30%].

I have a 660 Watt Platinum rated PSU [my system would draw approx. 10%].

Which PSU would use least amount of watts and be the most efficient?

Please provide some real life benchmarks to prove your answer if possible.

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
I keep reading data that indicates 50% load is the ideal load for efficiency.

Not really. It varies wildly depending on your specific PSU.

Regardless, you ended up with the right answer that a 660W is way too high and a 400W is still too high. However, the Platinum-rated PSU is still probably gonna be the most efficient - it's very difficult to get platinum-rated and it's gonna have some very efficient internals. As you get overall more efficient the point of peak efficiency widens a fair bit - not that it's really that different to begin with.

Last edited:
Efficiency is only the rating at how efficient your PSU is at converting the energy at full load. The difference between the rating and 100 would be how much energy is wasted as heat @ 50 or 60c (I can't remember what the temp rating is for 80+)

A PSU's rating is maximum wattage, and depending on the unit in question typically 50-100w below rating is what the unit is capable of 24/7. If you have a Gold or Platinum unit anywhere between a 400 and 500w system would be perfect for your machine to be running full load 24/7.

This does not account for overhead because we are talking 24/7 usage. Take note, I'm taking your heat into consideration from our previous convo.

To finalize, how much wattage you pull is how much wattage you pull. The end result will be the same on any decent PSU regardless of usage percentage unless you kept them cold because they will already be hot.

Not really. It varies wildly depending on your specific PSU.

Regardless, you ended up with the right answer that a 660W is way too high and a 400W is still too high. However, the Platinum-rated PSU is still probably gonna be the most efficient - it's very difficult to get platinum-rated and it's gonna have some very efficient internals. As you get overall more efficient the point of peak efficiency widens a fair bit - not that it's really that different to begin with.

Efficiency is only the rating at how efficient your PSU is at converting the energy at full load. The difference between the rating and 100 would be how much energy is wasted as heat @ 50 or 60c (I can't remember what the temp rating is for 80+)

A PSU's rating is maximum wattage, and depending on the unit in question typically 50-100w below rating is what the unit is capable of 24/7. If you have a Gold or Platinum unit anywhere between a 400 and 500w system would be perfect for your machine to be running full load 24/7.

This does not account for overhead because we are talking 24/7 usage. Take note, I'm taking your heat into consideration from our previous convo.

To finalize, how much wattage you pull is how much wattage you pull. The end result will be the same on any decent PSU regardless of usage percentage unless you kept them cold because they will already be hot.

Yami and PPM,

Ok, thanks for the info. I am still not sure which way to go.

I cannot find a 400 Watt Seasonic hybrid Platinum anywhere that has a half way decent price [most are over $175].

I am looking for a good deal on a 400 watt Platinum hybrid, but I must have this security rig up and running within one week.

Here's what I have on hand:

CORSAIR CX430M Bronze
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W Bronze [sent off the broken one yesterday, hope to have the new one asap.
Seasonic 660XP Platinum

I think I have changed my mind on my computer build. I would like to use an Intel i7-3770k instead of the Intel g2020. So here's the components I would like to use:

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case
Intel i5-3570k or Intel i7-3770k
ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (B75M-ITX)
Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM case fans
2-Coolermaster fans 120mm and 70mm.
Modified ARCTIC COOLING A7P-75000023 92mm CPU Cooler [will shave/mill 5/8" off the top]
PSU???
Intel 160GB SSD
Seagate 4TB HDD or WD Red 3TB

So what would be the best way to go for now [hopefully later I can find a good deal on an excellent 400 Watt Platinum Hybrid.

Thanks,

Soar

You do realize what I was saying, right? Efficiency rating doesn't lower power draw. Something like this would be absolutely fine and net the same result.
SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Yes, I do realize what you are saying. The computer will draw the same amounts of watts no matter what PSU I am using...at least that is what I think you are saying.

Ok, well, I am still thinking about using the Seasonic XP660 hybrid until I can find a good deal on a 400 Platinum hybrid.

Please allow me to ask one more question...

Will upgrading to an Intel i7-3770k change anything?

Soar

Soar

Yes and no. Yes it will consume the same wattage, but the difference between gold and platinum units are very small. I don't see why you are dead set on getting a platinum unit.

I don't believe there will be such a low wattage platinum rated unit from a name brand manufacturer like Seasonic. Hence why I said, the 450 gold will do the exact same thing in the wattage you're looking for.

It will do the obvious. Up performance and raise power consumption.

Ok, thanks for the info. I like the Seasonic Hybrid's because they have that switch where you can choose totally quiet [fan off] to fan on [but only on when the load is large enough].

This design is so sweet!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom