Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

ocmdiaz714

Baseband Member
Case
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case CC-9011023-WW

PSU
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Motherboard
Gigabyte FM2 AMD A85X DDR3 1800 (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS GA-F2A85X-D3H

CPU
AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX

Storage
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive

Memory
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT

Optical Drive
Pioneer Electronics USA 15x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner with 4 MB Buffer BDR-208DBK

Goal: I need a system capable of modern-day multitasking. What I mean by this is playing an HD video on YouTube on the background as I work with hi-res textures in Photoshop. Play Blu-ray in full HD and browse the internet at the same time and maintain low CPU/memory usage. I already do this on a Sempron built with 2gb memory and my memory usually rests at 50% while the CPU is up at 90% so I know I'll be okay with only 2gb of ram. And that's also the reason I'm not going out all with the parts. I'm not going to do gaming...just simple everyday multitasking. And at $450 I'm sure I'm doing better than retail systems.

I need something that won't require an upgrade anytime soon. A standard for today's needs. And I know I don't need more than 2gb of ram or a powerful graphics card when I won't make use of them to add the extra expense so please no comment on that.

Few problems here. The first being, you selected a high end APU with a "gaming" IGP which will take a good amount of RAM leaving only about 1.5GB for the system to use while in Windows. The second being, that motherboard and CPU doesn't use DDR2. It needs DDR3 1333 at a minimum.

Why exactly are you so dead set on 2GB of RAM? If you work with high res textures you should get as much RAM as your budget allows. I'm guessing you're still using XP with this mindset? If you are using a Sempron then you could easily rework your rig for the same amount of power while decreasing the IGP power and have an 8GB system.

Few problems here. The first being, you selected a high end APU with a "gaming" IGP which will take a good amount of RAM leaving only about 1.5GB for the system to use while in Windows. The second being, that motherboard and CPU doesn't use DDR2. It needs DDR3 1333 at a minimum.

Why exactly are you so dead set on 2GB of RAM? If you work with high res textures you should get as much RAM as your budget allows. I'm guessing you're still using XP with this mindset? If you are using a Sempron then you could easily rework your rig for the same amount of power while decreasing the IGP power and have an 8GB system.

Yeah I actually just found out the RAM is incompatible. I had gone with what Newegg suggested. Anyways I made my mind up on a new set of RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Does it sound like a decent setup?

Back
Top Bottom