need help with an old IBM Ps1 2155-G76

Hi. mooring everyone , I have tried pressing f12 for boot selection, but it dose not work, When i let it boot it comes up as msdos and loaded but after it loads it says C:\ share and then it moves under the C:\share and the computer gets stuck, I have used msdos before but I have never seen (c:\share) before, do you think its a hardware problem or is msdos just not installed correctly, what are your thoughts about that. thanks

Andrea

Sounds like your trying to boot into a network.
Even a windows 98 boot disk will get you into a dos prompt. which is just C:/> from there it's all command line and you can do whatever you want.
What are you attempting to do with dos?
My experiences with dos have been to start up a floppy disk ( a real 5¼ inch floppy) to play Leisure Suit Larry or used dos to format and partition a hard drive, and maybe something to do with 98 but I can't recall it was a very long time ago, I did post a link to some command line tutorials in post #2

When you get to C:/share, type in DIR /W and see if that shows you anything(there's a space between dir and /w)

Last edited:
Hi, Im just testing software that I have made i know dos is old but i want it on one of my computers and when it says c:\share the cursor moves underneath c:\share and i cant do anything else the computer just stops after it show that the keyboard dose not work it just gets stuck what do i need to do to get passed it, I have tried windows 98 boot but i cant get the system to boot to cd rom, it has a floppy drive that works but i cant make a boot disk because i don't have a computer that has a floppy drive I have like 5 laptops but none have a floppy drive, some on said on this theory that i can press f12 to get to boot menu but i have tried all that and it just brings me to the cmos no boot menu, and sent the system is so old i can not find a boot menu on the cmos, what should i do just buy a usb floopy drive, I know they are real cheap but I just want something to boot,with out spending money ,what i have not tried is changing the cd rom drive to a new one maybe i should do that. thanks for your replay.

Last edited:
what version of windows originally came on this laptop?
You need to get into your bios and change the boot order to make the cd drive the first device in the boot order, The laptop is probably attempting to boot to the lan network, does this laptop have a working hard drive? Even if you did use a cd boot disk, You'll need to pre-install your dos program on your hard drive in order to access it and run your software in dos ( you can probably install your dos software program on the same cd boot disk too)

There's too many different variations to use F keys to get the boot order option. If this is an older laptop, you might not even have that option. You'll need to check the manuals and documentations for this laptop to see if there is an option to use an F key to get a boot order screen

Hmm... seems you ignored what I had to say. The PS1 CANNOT boot from a CD-ROM drive or any external drive! Computers of that era were hard coded to check the floppy drive and, if no boot record was found, attempt to boot from the hard drive. There was no other option.

Did you try booting from ROM like I stated earlier by pressing and holding both mouse buttons while powering the system on?

Since it seems that the system is booting from the C: drive, you could try hitting Ctrl-Break when you first see activity on the screen (before it gets to C:\share) this should interrupt the autoexec.bat file processing and drop you to a command prompt. Once at a working command prompt then enter the dir /w command as Joe C mentioned. Hopefully there is an editor on the drive that will then allow you to edit the autoexec.bat and comment out the line that is causing the system to hang.

I've personally never used a PS1 but I spent many hours over the years at a DOS prompt using machines of that era and am very comfortable with DOS and it's ins and outs. If possible, post the contents of the autoexec.bat file here so that we can see what it is trying to do.

Last edited:
What was the final solution? You really should post that so that someone else in the future that is looking for similar information might find your post and it will help them.

Back
Top Bottom