Windows 98 Box

This is what I might actually do with my road cone machine, it's running a Socket A...was going to turn it into a NAS but lack of hard drive bays has kept me from doing that. Good job on the guide.

I located the config.sys file and it does not contain that text. I did this exactly.
  1. Using any text editor (such as Notepad), open the Config.sys file.
  2. Locate the line that loads Emm386.exe, and then remove the following text from the beginning of the line:

rem -- by Windows 98 setup -
  3. Save and then close the Config.sys file.
  4. Restart the computer.

This is what I might actually do with my road cone machine, it's running a Socket A...was going to turn it into a NAS but lack of hard drive bays has kept me from doing that. Good job on the guide.
Yea the longest lasting 98 box I had was my old socket A machine. I might actually go back to using it because it has been the most solid machine for the build.

I located the config.sys file and it does not contain that text. I did this exactly.
  1. Using any text editor (such as Notepad), open the Config.sys file.
  2. Locate the line that loads Emm386.exe, and then remove the following text from the beginning of the line:

rem -- by Windows 98 setup -
  3. Save and then close the Config.sys file.
  4. Restart the computer.
Maybe you need to add it? Not sure.

Ill try that too. It is not that big of a deal. It eventually says em386 enabled if I ignore it. I just want to optimize the OS and thought this would help.

I apologize if I mucked up your thread PP
It's just that every time I think of Windows 98, it reminds me of bsod's and driver issues. 98 was good for dos based programs, and it kept forums like this one very busy

I apologize if I mucked up your thread PP
It's just that every time I think of Windows 98, it reminds me of bsod's and driver issues. 98 was good for dos based programs, and it kept forums like this one very busy
General issues and support is pretty much why I made this thread. The fixes I mention eliminate a lot of problems from the days of old. The hardware I mention and recommend I have used myself with the fixes and updates so I know they work well with the OS and give little issue. I'm not saying there won't be any problems, just after having compiled all of this and figuring out a good order to execute the install problems are very minimal. The ones that creep up are usually easily fixable.

I agree that 98 SE is good for the old dos games, but not much else can be said for it

I can not recommend that anybody to get on line with 98 due to no support for security

If it's just for fun and format to kill time....Enjoy! (good thread for 98)

Well, there are a lot of older games that will NOT run, no matter what is done in current operating systems, even XP still broke a lot of really old games... Still have a 98 box sitting in the closet, has an old nForce2 based board with a 1400Mhz Duron I think, 512MB RAM, Geforce 2 64MB, a 20GB HDD. Amazing old machine, I bring it out once in awhile to play Sim Theme Park or WC.

Well, there are a lot of older games that will NOT run, no matter what is done in current operating systems, even XP still broke a lot of really old games... Still have a 98 box sitting in the closet, has an old nForce2 based board with a 1400Mhz Duron I think, 512MB RAM, Geforce 2 64MB, a 20GB HDD. Amazing old machine, I bring it out once in awhile to play Sim Theme Park or WC.
I haven't run into any in particular, but I do have games that have some serious issues playing in any NT platform.

Oregon Trail, there is also another one, forgot the name of it, but you climbed mountains and the such, really wish I remember what it was called, saw that game when I was ~5 years old... almost 20 years ago... jesus...

Back
Top Bottom