Elitebook 8440p video question

LEDPros

Baseband Member
I bought this used 8440p... well i got two of them, one for me, one for dad.

One has the Intel HD4500 onboard, the other Nvidia 3100. Otherwise, the laptops are very similar.

Does anyone have experience with these video chipsets? I have lots of time on HD4500 powered laptops, and for all the complaining people do I think it's great. I don't play games, but I do watch high def videos and the Intel solution works a treat for that. I also like the cool running, battery sipping performance too.

Does the Nvidia 3100 have that much more power? I can tell it draws more, without even running the battery down a full charge yet I notice the Nvidia laptop runs hotter.

Which laptop would you take, if everything else is the same? No games will be played, but longevity as far as processing power goes is a factor. I'm looking to get 10 years out of these hopefully...

Thanks in advance

To answer my own question-

The nvidia nvs3100m is a power hog. with the hd4000 chipset in my other laptop, it gets easily 3x the battery life. Supposedly, there isnt supposed to be much difference, but the nvidia solution drains a battery faster then a v8 big block burns gas.

The screen resolution is nice, but its not like you notice it much over the standard 1366x720 or whatever it is. I have yet to try games, but even just idling this nvidia video runs hotter. The fan never stops spinning, whereas with the intel video the laptop can actually sit there for a few min without any fan on at all, it just idles nicely.

If I had to chose after this, its intel hd4000 video all the way. Unless you never plan on unplugging your laptop.

Are you sure you mean HD4500 and not GMA4500? There's no Intel GPU with the moniker HD4500, to my knowledge.

Well, its the GMA4500 HD. The HD means it has better video playback support, irrc.

I am installing Grid2, and we will see how it handles gaming. I know the i3 HTPC I have with the 4500HD video in it does NOT play games worth a darn, so if this laptop can play Grid2 I wont feel so bad about the battery life.

Either way though, I will be looking for another 8440p with Intel video just for a portable solution. This laptop will turn into a desktop (its already the fastest computer I have :D)

Fair enough. Just thought it'd be worth pointing out since the HD4000 is about 6-7 times faster, and you weren't basing your choice on wrong info.

Well, theres also an AMD HD4000... Im really tired of the naming schemes, it's impossible to know whats good or not it seems.

Grid2 is still downloading, but I did try Toca Race Driver 3 and it runs pretty dang good! Reminds me of my 7900GT days (not the new 7000 series of course! This was Opteron Dual Core days :) )

Back
Top Bottom