Windows 7 Guest account questions

Valados

Beta member
Hello, I tried searching for an answer within the forum but unfortunately found no results, I apologize if this is redundant or already been asked.

Essentially, I'm trying to setup a Guest account that can access the computer, save files / Access internet / Download Programs / etc, but without any access to my primary Admin account's content. I've Googled many different things pertaining to the subject, reworded my questions in hopes of better results but I have no answers on the subject.

When I make a guest account, it has access to the hard drive content of the administrator account, but the internet browser *Chrome in this instance* is unaffected: No bookmarks, settings, passwords, etc, are available on the guest account. I've tried experimenting with changing sharing settings among other things and I was just curious if there was a simplified method that does not involve potentially messing with a lot of more advanced settings I'd rather not meddle with. I've also tried making an account for guests, not an actual guest account but an additional user account, and it had similar issues to having access to the hard drive *Though it was set to a Standard user account, not an Admin account*.

I'd like to basically have an account that's like a brand new, first time used account with nothing on it that I can add files to for anyone who may use the guest account, as well as be able to delete and modify programs, among other things, that are added to the guest account.

Any assistance would be wonderful, thank you for reading and any replies.

*Current OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, other computer specifications available if need be*

When I make a guest account, it has access to the hard drive content of the administrator account, but the internet browser *Chrome in this instance* is unaffected: No bookmarks, settings, passwords, etc, are available on the guest account.

I'd like to basically have an account that's like a brand new, first time used account with nothing on it that I can add files to for anyone who may use the guest account, as well as be able to delete and modify programs, among other things, that are added to the guest account.

For the top part, i would think the guest account should not have access to files specific to the admin account. They prolly have read access to a lot of files on c:\, but c:\users\admin should error with access denied. If not, then i would open computer management, goto local users and groups, open properties for the guest user, and check their group membership. It should only be a memeber of the Guests group.

With Chrome settings and data not being seen on other accounts is expected. I think chrome saves its data per user. I'm not sure if some settings are applied at the machine level or not. Please double check this. Also, Chrome should have a cloud sync option. I know you can have it sign in under a google account. I assume it can pull bookmarks and settings using that login.

For the bottome part, the user would need to be a memeber of the power users group to install / remove programs. here's some info on power users

The Power in Power Users - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Also, i would use windows public folders to share files across different users.

Sharing files with the Public folder

Back
Top Bottom