need help with an old IBM Ps1 2155-G76

andreamillspaugh

Solid State Member
need help with an old IBM Ps1 2155-G76 I want to install MS DOS but I cant find out how to make the cd-rom boot, the Bios dose not say how to boot please help me I had the old computer and Im a computer programmer and I cant find anything out about this old system. thanks:)

Hi everyone mooring, I don't have a other computer that has a floppy just the IBM Ps1 2155-G76 so how im i going to make a boot disk all i have are laptops that are new and none of them have a floppy drive. what should i do. I have tried a bookable cd with MSDOS installation on it but the drive will not load first.

The only possible way is really a hybrid workaround. You couldn't boot from a CD-ROM drive of that era because there was no BIOS support for CD-ROM drives (the BIOS literally did not know that CD-ROM drives existed). The OS (DOS) had to load first, then a device driver was loaded from the config.sys file.

You will need to create a DOS boot disk that loads the drivers for the CD-ROM Drive (no BIOS support for CD-ROM) in a config.sys file located on the DOS disk. Once DOS boots and loads the CD-ROM drivers, then execution can be transferred to the CD-ROM using a batch file on the DOS diskette.

The PS1 predates USB so a USB floppy is out. Doesn't the machine have 1 or more diskette drives?

After a little bit more reading, it seems that the PS1 had the ability to boot from ROM (not CD-ROM), here's some info about that: http://www.ehow.com/how_4728255_emergency-boot-ibm-ps.html. This procedure requires a mouse with a PS2 style connector plugged in and will not work with a USB mouse.

Last edited:
The only possible way is really a hybrid workaround. You couldn't boot from a CD-ROM drive of that era because there was no BIOS support for CD-ROM drives (the BIOS literally did not know that CD-ROM drives existed). The OS (DOS) had to load first, then a device driver was loaded from the config.sys file.

You will need to create a DOS boot disk that loads the drivers for the CD-ROM Drive (no BIOS support for CD-ROM) in a config.sys file located on the DOS disk. Once DOS boots and loads the CD-ROM drivers, then execution can be transferred to the CD-ROM using a batch file on the DOS diskette.

The PS1 predates USB so a USB floppy is out. Doesn't the machine have 1 or more diskette drives?

Actually...you can load optical drive - drivers in DOS boot disk, not really a hybrid workaround. Just a matter of downloading it from my link in post #2

DOScdrom | Auto Setup Config.sys/Autoexec.bat To Load CDrom Drivers in DOS. For laptops that share a floppy and cdrom port, or if you just need to boot to C: with CDrom drivers loaded.
there's a lot of info on that Bootdisk.com web site, you should read through it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom