Bad video card(s)?

They are standard PCI slots, and no. You don't want to use one for a video card.

Edit: I have a feeling your issues will go away once you clean up all that dust. Be sure to clean the cards real good.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for all the help and suggestions! If you happen to subscribe to this thread, I'll post a reply and let you know what the resolution was. Cheers!

One last thing....on the EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card that you mentioned above, is that a HDMI connector on the back (among the rest)?

Hey PP (or whoever else might be able to answer),

A couple things:

1) Cleaning everything seems to have rectified the issues I was having. Amazing, and thanks! However,

2) I'm still thinking about replacing these dual cards with a single, better performing one. You linked several and the EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 128bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, Mini HDMI, Graphics Card (01G-P4-3650-KR) Graphics Card that I'm interested in says it is for a PCI-e 3.0 (slot, I guess?).....how do I know if it will work in my system? In other words, how do I determine if I have PCI-e 3.0 or 2.0 slots, and if I do have 2.0 slots, will this card work?

Cheers, and thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. As I recall, USB 2.0 devices perform better in 2.0 slots over 1.0 slots....does this mean if I have PCI-E 2.0 slots in my system (which I assume is the case) that the card mentioned above won't run as good as it could? Will this single card, installed in a PCI-E 2.0 slot, outperform the dual nVidia GeForce 9800 GT's (512 MB ea) I'm currently running?

The difference between the two comparison (USB and PCI-E) is there are only a couple cards that actually fully saturate the PCI-E 2.0 16x, and they still currently cost a ton. The 650 would actually run fine in a 2.0 8x slot, of which you have a 16x slot. PCI-E 3 is moot for lower end cards still.

Yes, it's better than 2 9800s in SLI.

Back
Top Bottom